In Nevada, need help with breeds in climate

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Deanna31, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Deanna31

Deanna31 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Hello All.. I just moved to Nevada on a few acres and we would like to raise a few egg laying hens.
    I would like to get some help with picking the right breeds for our climate and needs.

We are looking for great hardy egg layers that can handle the heat and cold.
    I have been doing a little research and have favored the Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock hens but
    I want to be sure that they can handle the weather safely and fit our needs of approx. a dozen eggs a week.

I am looking for any suggestions and help [​IMG]

Thank you
    Deanna
    Fallon, Nevada

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
  3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

I personally recommend around 3-5 hens for a dozen eggs a week. RIR, Barred Rock and Orphingtons are great breeds. Try a few or each.

Nate

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:I have tried that chicken breed selector and it is different every time. Why when I say I need a winter hardy bird with good egg production, would they recommend a silky or bantam silky? [​IMG]: [​IMG]
    I'm not even sure that a silky is a chicken! Just kidding to you silky fans, they just look like a stuffed toy to me (and I'm sure my dogs!)

OkChickens: thanks for the number recommendation, you just saved me a posting.

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] Any of your Mediterranean breeds will do well in the heat, but they tend to be a little flightier. You probably want to choose hens that are lighter in weight/dual purpose rather than heavier hens with dense feathering. We have Leghorns that don't seem bothered by the heat at all. They will lay a white egg almost every day. We also have Naked Necks. You either love these or hate these. [​IMG] They seem fine with the higher temperatures. I am sure that if you use your common sense, you will be able to find a breed that works. [​IMG]

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Barred Rocks are almost as good as is their cousin the ancient Dominique, which has a good record for being able to withstand heat in the deep south.
    Almost any chicken is good to temps down to zero. I have heard that RIRs have a temperament problem, but somebody may have had a grudge. [​IMG]

If you provide tree shade and sun cover, a dirt floor, lots of water and ventilation most any chicken will survive. In the desert southwest misters are used on a
    regular basis. Also fans can be helpful in very, very high temperatures.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by