in regards to pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beach livin', Dec 1, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    pellet feed is what my girls get and i just add a new scoop to the feeder every morning. but now the feeder is full of the crushed up pellets, kinda like a dust now. so my question to those that use pellets, what do you do with the "dust". do you add water and make it more crub like. i would hate to throw it out, because it still seems perfectly eatable.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dump them in a bucket, add a splash of water or a broth for flavor and stir. This will make a damp, crumbles type feed. They'll love it. Waste not, want not.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Wait a couple of hours to fill the feeders and see if they eat the 'dust'. Some brands of crumble are little more than a powder.

4. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    awesome. thanks yall!

5. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    I add mine to spent grains for brewing beer, vegetable pulp from juicing, oyster calcium, and what ever else I have hanging around. I then add hot water to make a paste. Feed it to the chickens the next day and they go nuts. Or, I just add how water and make the paste - they still go nuts, though my wife does not like the fact that I feed it to them in her tupperware containers......[​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I let them eat it. Quit adding they will eat it. They have no choice.

7. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually buy two 50 lb. bags of pellets every two weeks. When those two are finished and the feeder is almost empty, I take it out and dump all the dust and broken pellets in the yard before filling the feeder with fresh new whole pellets. The chickens LOVE the pile of dust and pellet bits! They ignore the new stuff until they've thoroughly scratched and picked through the pile. Dumping the feeder when I finish 2 bags keeps the bottom of the feeder from getting so full of dust that the new pellets can't fall down to the tray where the hens can get them. Nothing goes to waste.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by