In Switzerland Onion Skins?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
They have a package of dried onion skins for chickens. Never seen that before. Anyone feed their chicken onion skins? The eggs here don't taste "oniony" LOL

Ellie

Yeah they had all colors. They do have a lot of chickens here it seems. Eggs are stamped with a date on them. And they must free range by the color of the yolk. At leat in the little village. Ellie

It's an interesting idea, Ellie. The bulb of an onion is not a root; it is the base of the onion leaves. A dried skin is light enuf to just blow away but with lots and lots of them - I guess you'd have "onion hay."
tongue.png

Dried onion leaves would have some protein and carbohydrates but I wondered if their value would be something more than that. Some people give their birds garlic and when I checked on that, this is what I found:
GARLIC PERFUMES POULTRY HOUSES
th.gif

"CLEMSON - Garlic may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of air fresheners, but Clemson University scientists are finding that it works like a charm in poultry houses ... and may lower the cholesterol in eggs, to boot.

"'We're feeding the chickens about 3 percent of their diet in garlic powder to mask the odor of the waste,' said Glenn Birrenkott, Clemson animal and veterinary science professor. 'It makes the poultry house smell like a pizzeria instead of manure.'
lol.png

" . . . The researchers have already conducted taste tests and found that people preferred the eggs produced by the garlic-eating hens. :eek:

". . . the chickens adapted to eating garlic right away. . ."
tongue.png

Weird, wouldn't you say?

Steve's digits & smilies

digitS' :

It's an interesting idea, Ellie. The bulb of an onion is not a root; it is the base of the onion leaves. A dried skin is light enuf to just blow away but with lots and lots of them - I guess you'd have "onion hay."
tongue.png

Dried onion leaves would have some protein and carbohydrates but I wondered if their value would be something more than that. Some people give their birds garlic and when I checked on that, this is what I found:
GARLIC PERFUMES POULTRY HOUSES
th.gif

"CLEMSON - Garlic may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of air fresheners, but Clemson University scientists are finding that it works like a charm in poultry houses ... and may lower the cholesterol in eggs, to boot.

"'We're feeding the chickens about 3 percent of their diet in garlic powder to mask the odor of the waste,' said Glenn Birrenkott, Clemson animal and veterinary science professor. 'It makes the poultry house smell like a pizzeria instead of manure.'
lol.png

" . . . The researchers have already conducted taste tests and found that people preferred the eggs produced by the garlic-eating hens. :eek:

". . . the chickens adapted to eating garlic right away. . ."
tongue.png

Weird, wouldn't you say?

Steve's digits & smilies

That's interesting- I wonder if that woud affect the flavor of broilers?? Anyone tried it?​

I haven't had chicken yet. Too busy with Fondue and Schnitzel lol
Maybe I will try it and see if it has an onion flavor.
Ellie

I haven't had chicken yet. Too busy with Fondue and Schnitzel lol
Maybe I will try it and see if it has an onion flavor.
Ellie

I hope you are enjoying everything available, Ellie. Thank you for thinking about us!

d.k :

*Strange, cuz I think both onions AND garlic are on the lists of plants dangerous to chickens. . . . .???

If that is from the poultryhelp.com page on "toxic plants" - I'm wondering if they'll be taking that down since poultryhelp hasn't been in the poultry business for over a year now. I can't help but think the information they provide from the Reptile Keeper's Handbook just isn't very appropriate for people with chickens
hmm.png

Cornell University Department of Animal Science lists "Species Most Often Affected" for Allium spp. "Commercial Onions, Wild Onions, Swamp Onions, and Chives" as "cattle, horses, children."

Purdue School of Veterinary Medicine lists no alliums, onions or garlic as toxic.

Merck Veterinary Manual lists "Onions (cultivated and wild)" as toxic with "Cattle, horses, sheep, dogs" as "Affected Animals."

None of these veterinary sources on toxic plants says anything about poultry relative to onions or garlic. And, here we have Clemson University reporting on garlic as 3% of poultry feed. I'm not saying that they aren't toxic but, heck
smile.png

Steve​

* We were discussing plants for the chicken yard on another thread and someone was bemoaning that the list reported onions & garlic as toxic to poultry-- but, things change and I'm not sure what list they were quoting anyhow now. . .
wink.png

Last edited:
The package was in German of course but it was clearly for chickens and they were in the refrigerated cooler section.

Everywhere you go there are chicken figures for decorations made out of ceramic or whatever. I even saw a chicken cuckoo clock and took a pic of course.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom