In the coop or in the run?

Inside or outside, it's up to you. Mine are inside the coop, I use a no waste feeder and a horizontal nipple waterer.

20170423_121746.jpg

20170422_105015.jpg

The food can go any where you want it.
Just make sure you do something, like a hardware cloth apron to prevent rats from digging into the run. Trust me when I tell you they WILL come.
If you aren't going to be able to prevent rats you will want to make sure you are able to remove all food and water at night.

I'm very close to you and there is no way in the world I can imagine a closed in coop in our area.
My coop is attached and always open to my run and it is only "closed" on two sides to block rain. (It's ALL covered too though.)

Yeah, we get rats in our garage off and on already. :rolleyes: So far we’ve had no rodent problems with our current set up. We do plan on doing hardware cloth as the wall covering for the run and most if not all of it will have a roof. I haven’t figured out yet if we need to bury hardware cloth or run it out along the ground at all around here. We’ve had raccoons and oppossums in the yard before. Not sure if those will try to dig. Coyotes every so often around, but never in the yard. It’s completely fenced and we’ve got 2 dogs that are outside 24/7.

I have always kept food & water in the coop. Water is on a plastic bulb crate about 8 inches above the litter. Had a 30 lb. hanging galvanized feeder for 25 years with a really deep hopper & never have problems with food being wasted. Recently bought a plastic Kuhl feeder with a really deep hopper & still no problems. I use light, so they need to be able to eat & drink in the coop. Many of today's hanging feeders are a joke with tiny, shallow troughs.

Yeah, we get rats in our garage off and on already. :rolleyes: So far we’ve had no rodent problems with our current set up. We do plan on doing hardware cloth as the wall covering for the run and most if not all of it will have a roof. I haven’t figured out yet if we need to bury hardware cloth or run it out along the ground at all around here. We’ve had raccoons and oppossums in the yard before. Not sure if those will try to dig. Coyotes every so often around, but never in the yard. It’s completely fenced and we’ve got 2 dogs that are outside 24/7.
Rats dig.
I learned the hard way.
I had to go back and bury hardware cloth all around everything to keep them out.

In your climate, and assuming your run is attached to the coop, I would never have food and water in the coop. There's no need for it there. Your chickens will likely just roost and lay eggs there and as you've already said, winter is not a problem so your birds won't stay copped up. Leave your food and water in the run.

Back
Top Bottom