In the future I'm thinking of culling one of my flocks, thoughts?

The rooster is a Cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex, very handsome and very well behaved so far (he's still fairly young, around 9 months) the hens are one RIR, one Cuckoo Orpington, one SS, two Buff Orpingtons (one with wry tail) and one RIR x Light Sussex, who is very friendly. Do you think there's much chance of selling them as a flock?
I think you could. How old are they? Are they mixed ages?

The rooster is a Cuckoo Orpington x Light Sussex, very handsome and very well behaved so far (he's still fairly young, around 9 months) the hens are one RIR, one Cuckoo Orpington, one SS, two Buff Orpingtons (one with wry tail) and one RIR x Light Sussex, who is very friendly. Do you think there's much chance of selling them as a flock?
Only way to know will be to advertise and find out! I would say there's a good chance, though.

Only way to know will be to advertise and find out! I would say there's a good chance, though.
Thats so, in the moment they are all laying almost every day, do you think it would be easier to rehome them now, then later on in the year, when they might not be laying so much? I wasn't planning on doing anything until a bit later on.

For someone who is starting out and wanting a flock you just may be able to do that....I know if I did not already have 18 chickens I would have been interested in buying a ready made flock. About a year ago I would have jumped all over it. So there may be someone that is looking for a small flock that is already integrated and getting along. Can I ask what state you are in. If you are not to far from me I can ask around. What would you want for them....

For someone who is starting out and wanting a flock you just may be able to do that....I know if I did not already have 18 chickens I would have been interested in buying a ready made flock. About a year ago I would have jumped all over it. So there may be someone that is looking for a small flock that is already integrated and getting along. Can I ask what state you are in. If you are not to far from me I can ask around. What would you want for them....
I'm in Australia, so I don't think you could help there very much, but thanks very much for the offer. As far as pricing goes, I really have no idea!
I guess I should have a look around, and see how much grown birds go for, around here.

I'm in Australia, so I don't think you could help there very much, but thanks very much for the offer. As far as pricing goes, I really have no idea!
I guess I should have a look around, and see how much grown birds go for, around here

I guess I would not be much help...lol....good luck and hope it all works out amazing for you.....

So I went out and sat with the flock, thinking of what to put in an ad, and if I wanted to keep any, and that sort of thing.
And I realized that I don't really care to much about what breeds I have, and I watched the rooster run to one of the BOs that had got left behind, as a raven flew over, and he's just too good to sell, and all the hens have their own personality's and I love them more than I thought
So I kind of wanted to apologize for wasting your time, but for me, your time wasn't wasted, because you all really helped me realize what I want out of a flock, and it isn't quite what I thought it was.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom