In the news: Estes Hatchery Samonella Outbreak reported 06/27/20012

EdenCamp

Crowing
12 Years
Breaking news caught on local channels this morning..
Estes supplies our local Orschilins and does a thriving mail order business.
Some couple dozen reported incidences of Samonella traced to Estes Hatchery.
3 children, 2 being siblings in MO.
Hatchery reported to be cooperating with authorities.
Google and/or check www.ky3.com for more info.

Make sure to ALWAYS diligently follow proper handwashing and handling procedures and monitor children!
Samonella is common in poultry so this is not earth shattering news - just a heads up folks.

I'll post more as I find it - and others are encouraged as well but please included your sources.

Posted in my FB page and WCNA....a few of our members had bought some of Estes' Welsummers this year.

Bottom line, wash your hands folks!

I've got a call into Orschelin's home office to find out if they are going to offer any testing services or what ever.
I purchased a number of chicks this spring and I'd like to find out thier status on this - if I can avoid bringing contamination (if present) into the rest of my flock that would be a good thing. Will call Estes directly and see what they have to say as well. Part of the bennies of home flocks is to try and have safer food supply.

I just spoke with someone at the Missouri Extension Office. He had been in contact with the MO Dept of Agriculture. An official statement is in the works, probably by news time tonight. He did mention that we should take regular precautions about hand washing and cooking. I told him that we eat raw eggs in our smoothies. He said he did too, and this would not make him change that.

My chicks (leghorns) from Estes are about 20 weeks, so I got mine at the very beginning of this outbreak. He told me that if I had been handling the chicks and I had not gotten sick yet, they are probably not contaminated. He said the concern is from the baby chicks, not the eggs or the meat at butchering age.

I'll be watching for more updates. Hope this helps others.

Last edited:
I talked with Paul at Estes Hatchery. Samonella is commonly carried by poultry - this is why hand washing and general sanitation procedures are necessary. Essentially he said this is nothing new and nothing more than the result of a slow news day.

Any comments by experienced folks? Research resulted in recommendations to use clean, non-samonella carrying poultry.
Is this even feasible? Or just part of the normal and expected bacterial culture associated with poultry or not?

Back
Top Bottom