In the process of making my chicken coop with some questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tucker0104, Jan 22, 2015.

1. tucker0104

tucker0104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Did anyone use Tyvek wrap under their siding? What is the consensus on type of siding used? Where is the cheapest place to find windows for my coop? I am wanting to put at least one on the west, east, and south side of my coop. Anything wrong with that? This is my first time ever building a shed or coop before. So far, I have the base of 2x6 connected to 4x4's that are cemented into the ground.

2. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    If you don't mind windows that are not cosmetically perfect, the cheapest place for windows would be a scrap yard or possibly Craigslist. Always look in the free section. Nothing wrong with windows. Some people say that nests should be in a darkish area. I did not use Tyvek or any insulation at all. The siding I see the most of is painted wood. Good Luck!

3. Tjschicks1817

Tjschicks1817 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    For siding I really like T1-11. Runs about 25$ for a 4'x8' sheet.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think you need tyvek wrap for a chicken coop.

I'd make sure you have deep eaves left open for ventilation and securely covered with well attached 1/2" hardware cloth(see My Coop)...cover windows with HC too. It gets hot where you live, you need lots of ventilation.

Look at windows that are hinged at the top so they can remain at least partially open when it's raining.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I am using the T1-11 as my siding as well. As for windows here in NY were have a place called restore its a habitat for humanity place you can buy windows, door, kitchen thing and etc for a pretty cheap price. It is all surplus or wrong sized material. Maybe look for a place like that.

6. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan Renaissance man

Feb 18, 2013
    Music City, USA
    Architectural salvage stores (as others mentioned such as ReStore) are a great source for cheap windows. You can get other items there as well- hinges, hardware. etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by