In the Wall Feeder Mk3

Based on watching the chicks use the Mk3a and Mk3b feeders I made a couple of minor changes to Mk3c. I also realized it was pointless to have lines higher than the front after cutting the 45°. I'll watch these for a few days and plan on making the one for the wall this weekend.

1. Increased the length of the metering board 1/4"
2. Increased the length of the pull out blocker board1/4"
3. Added an anti-roost board.
View attachment 2174780

JT
I LOVE this!!!
You knew I wanted to see a cross section didnjya?

Ok they have been using all three feeders for a few days and so far Mk3c is the winner, I've not seen one kernel of food on the floor in front of Mk3c. From time to time I see some in front of both Mk3a and Mk3b so the lower metering gate and the taller front guard are working. They seem to eat more out of Mk3b and Mk3c than Mk3a (the one with 1/2" sides).

JT

I love the idea of these type feeders. I made one of PVC and the chickens used it but so did the mice and rats. I don't keep feed in the hen house at night now and no more mice and rat problem.

Ok they have been using all three feeders for a few days and so far Mk3c is the winner, I've not seen one kernel of food on the floor in front of Mk3c. From time to time I see some in front of both Mk3a and Mk3b so the lower metering gate and the taller front guard are working. They seem to eat more out of Mk3b and Mk3c than Mk3a (the one with 1/2" sides).

JT
I love your process, thanks for sharing it here.
Any chance of scaling this up for full grown birds?
...or maybe the trough is large enough already?

Did you recently change your signature?
It's great!

I love your process, thanks for sharing it here.
Any chance of scaling this up for full grown birds?
...or maybe the trough is large enough already?

That will be my next step to make it big enough for big girls and have it in the wall. I think the trough is almost big enough, just needs to be a bit longer I think.

JT

You could set one of these 3 up in the other coop/run as a test and see what/how they do.

They would think it's an alien invader and not go near it :lau

If I turn the buckets on their side to drain off rain water the hens won't go on that side of the run until I turn them all back upside down.

JT

Back
Top Bottom