in this random rambling thread we post random pictures

I usually leave fruit plants unless they are seriously ill. If fruit plants do not suit me or there are too many of them, I just plant them over the fence. In Russia, in this regard, if this does not happen in the city, there is quite free legislation - apparently, because no one will catch a hooligan planting plums or cherries. A very old blackcurrant bush, which I inherited from my late grandfather, moved over my fence. It has long ceased to bear fruit and, logically, it would be worth cutting it down, but I was sorry and I was not too lazy to dig it up and replant it. This bush was quite huge, and I needed a long iron crowbar just to even lift it. Despite the rather barbaric transplant, the plant has taken root behind the fence and now grows near a country road. There are almost no cars there, so I sometimes take a few leaves from this bush to brew them instead of tea.
I also have a whole set of plums there that propagate by root shoots. She had to be removed, I dug her up and dropped her over the fence. Neighbors across the road looked at me suspiciously - why do I plant so many plums, making a whole alley out of them. I think they thought I was going to make some kind of alcoholic drink out of these plums. And I just planted extra plants. Sometimes they bear fruit, I pick them up and, after washing the berries and removing the stone, I put the pulp in bags and freeze it. Then I make egg and flour pies with them.

I'm a little confused in English, so I'll probably post pictures from the Internet so as not to get confused.
Here is a plant I have borne fruit in the spring and could not stand the frost in the summer
3f9d4fbd39a343ee360c42ad3ad76c27.jpg

Approximately such cherries grow in me, they bear fruit at the end of summer
1649566629_17-vsegda-pomnim-com-p-vishnya-derevo-s-yagodami-foto-23.jpg

This figure shows the difference - 1. the inscription on top is cherry, 2. on the bottom right is another... cherry??, 3. and on the bottom is plum.
Unfortunately, the online translator gives me the same word, translating into English, but I don't know how to write correctly. I suspect that these plants have different names, because they are really different - their berries are very similar, but they differ in taste and these plants bear fruit at different times.

listja-vishni-0.jpg

4. Small bushes with smaller berries, but also extremely similar, also grow here, we call them felt cherries.
cc588dc61176c40bc8f93985fa3ab4f3.jpeg

When I finally got confused, I decided to just take and use the Latin names.
1. Prúnus subg. Cérasus
2. Prúnus ávium
3. Prunus
4. Prunus tomentosa, syn. Cerasus tomentosa
We also grow a lot of plums here. And..apricots. Grow very easily out west here.

Your first two photos we call..Bing Cherries. The last one we call pie cherries. . Morello cherries. We had the Big Bing cherries at this home. Loved them!!
Thanks, it`s really useful information!
It is extremely inconvenient sometimes to talk when i cannot correctly name things so that it is clear. Now I know which cherry is the correct name!

Back
Top Bottom