In what kind of volunteer activities are you involved?

True Grit

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Orono, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Just curious, since we probably all like animals to some degree. I do some volunteering with a therapeutic riding group. I used to work with a collie rescue. Do your volunteer activities also involve animals?

I volunteer at a local rose garden. I think the weeds must hate me.
big_smile.png

I volunteer at the RSPCA shelter and help out at events.
I am a registered Wildlife carer.
I foster Senior Dogs and young Kittens that are awaiting adoption.
Im a volunteer firefighter.
I also do some work with a Youth At Risk organisation.
And at some stage soon i hope to get involved with Pets as Therapy.

Theyre just such a part of my life now, i couldnt imagine not being involved with them.

I volunteer with The American Cancer Society Relay For Life...I have been the chair, mission delivery, and team recruitment chair as well. So very rewarding...

In the past I've coached soccer through the Y, been a den leader for Tiger Cub Scouts, Room Mom/etc for kids' classes, PTA Board Member and all the drama that entails...

But now I'm at loose ends... DS isn't in Scouts or Soccer anymore... and we're Home Schooling.

Have though about putting my name in the hat to volunteer at our City Animal Pound but I'm not sure I could handle it, or that the kiddos could... knowing that a good portion of those cuddly critters will be killed might just be a bit too much. Kids can't volunteer, even visit, without parent and HSing I can't without them so... *shrug*

Also thought about volunteering with Mission Arlington but I don't know their rules on kids being there... I know SOME kids volunteer there, but they're teens... DS is 12 DD is 8... donno if they'd be allowed.

Loose Ends... that's where I'm at.

I'm a wildlife rehabilitator and have been for years. I love rehabbing. Even when it's stressful, intense, and crazy, it's so rewarding! If only I could get paid for it, that's what I'd do for the rest of my life. (As it is, I'm pre-veterinary and hoping to specialize in wildlife or avian medicine.
big_smile.png
) I've released well over one hundred animals by now I'm sure, probably more like two or three hundred.

I've also done foster care for dogs and cats with a local animal charity, and helped with their adoptions.

I may look into helping at a shelter, farm sanctuary, or something now that baby wild critter season is over and things are fairly slow.
big_smile.png
I love doing things with animals, whether it's volunteer, paid, or a hobby.

I run the science lab at my kid's elementary school, and I'm planning a fall family science night...want to help? I also volunteer at the middle school for the other kiddo, am on a PTA board, help with scout activities, and volunteer for Coats for Kids.

In the past I've been/done

docent at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
literacy tutor
HOA board (got the new pool built)
library volunteer
raptor center helper
and some other things I can't remember now

Back
Top Bottom