In your experience--what breeds are the nicest roosters? And meanest?

Quote:
Very Beautiful Rooster!!! They are lovely to look at. Thank you for sharing!

I've enjoyed reading all the responses!! Very interesting!

I guess time will tell for me to say whos what.

The little BR i have is just over 2 weeks old and still no sign of tail feathers & he looks to have a different barring pattern coming in. I am noting everything for future reference. I could be just paranoid.
This is my first foray with chickens and didnt want to have a rooster because of my lack of experience the first time around.

Countrygurl, I heard RIR are nasty, my boyfriend concurs.....

Nice roo.... mine.... I have a Big Blue Cochin.... He is the nicest rooster you will ever find. I have had amazing luck with Marans being very kind also.

the nicest rooster i have had would be my buff orpington....the meanest would be the Blue andalusian that i was forced to get rid of because he was attacking everyone in sight lol

The nicest roo I ever had was a Speckled Sussex cross (x Cinnamon Queen, I think) that a friend had raised but needed to re-house as he was the second boy in the coop in a No Roo zone. He was a sweetie and we were very sad when the pen door was left ajar one night an a raccoon got him.

The worsest of the worst was a hatchery high-production leghorn. He just despised everybody. I thought he'd make a good production-cross roo, but we had to dispatch him because I was tired of leaving my house having to carry a broom everywhere. He would attack from the ground, the fence, from trees....and purposely come running to do so. I thought maybe I could soup his nasty self, but he was even a mean little scrawny carcass.... about 2 lbs. of pure spite.

Last edited:
all my roo's are super nice. cowards even.

they get along perfectly when i added the two milli roo bantms in one day. i have a 10+ pound buff columbian brahma and those 2 little guys. they do their thing. and the two little roos will double team a hen.

but i have never had them try to come to me. if i cause a hen distress nad it squawks the big roo comes running then sees me are growls or roars... but then goes away. silly isn't it? he is now a year old while the millies are 6months. the brahama is just starting to grow its spurs but they are soooooooooo slow. and tiny.

Quote:
I have a RIR and that thing just seems to wait for me so he can attack. I caught him mid flight with a back hand one day he floped around then laid *dead* or so I thought. I went into the barn to get the machetti, as I turned the corner he was standing again. His day will come.

I only have experience with a few roosters but I'll explain anyway.
smile.png

My first roo was completely wild when I found him. He tamed down extremely quick. He was just a barnyard mix bantam. So cute and friendly. No problems with him at all. Bucky was my baby boy.

After that, I aquired a bantam Cochin pair. Erik, the roo, was so sweet and calm. No problems with him at all. Probably the sweetest roo I've owned.

Erik's two sons, Tank and Moss, were again, very sweet. I think it's just a Cochin thing. I've never had any bad experiences with them.

My only really mean roo was a Sebright (named Seabright... yeah spelled different. lol) I raised him from a day old chick and he was nice until he hit crowing age. He went out of his way to come attack me. He got especially mad when it came to food. I had him for almost a year before I gave him to some people that had 18 hens and wanted a little roo to go with them.

My only other two roos I've had are still chicks. One is a Rhode Island Red and he's only 6 weeks old now. We'll see how he turns out. I've heard good and bad things about the breed.

One of my blue polish crested i named rocky because he likes to fight with you. but i also have some banti belgain quail and they will chase you down just to fight with you. but i had (yestrday it died) a sultain and his name was buddy; he was very sweet. but i think it really changes with the way it is raised. i was told game roosters are terrible (i guess theyre known for fighting and killing eachother).

Back
Top Bottom