In your opinion…best sustainable meat breed

We tried, and have since given up. You can certainly do this, but we found it much easier and more economical to buy jumbo Cornish crosses every year. We could selectively breed from our flock if we had to, but depending on how many you raise (we do 60/yr all at once) feed really becomes the determining factor.

Just buy 100 cornish cross birds and raise them to adulthood. Then put the healthiest hens in with the biggest sweetest Plymouth Rock or similar meaty but gentle rooster/s you can find and hatch their eggs. At that point start selecting for the traits that you want. The bad stuff in the CC's DNA wants to go away and with a little selection pressure from you it goes away fast. You will have to cull a lot of birds but they're good eating in that first go round anyway. This is just an idea extrapolated from my procrastination in butchering some cornish cross birds. I'm not certain of the specific strain they were but know they came form Jenk's hatchery. Those that remained healthy and weren't culled on schedule have contributed some really good characteristics to my flock. Ultimately the CC is just a highly selected bird of convoluted lineage. Like any domesticated animal or plant it wants to revert to its wild form. Only our selection for the prettiest blooms, or white feathers, or bad legs and unsupportable muscle growth keeps them from becoming ideally suited to their environment. I say experiment and have fun with it but don't fall into this recreating the CC trap. It would end the same way. What's that about insanity and repeating stuff or something? Above all, please be kind to our fine feathered friends. Good luck!

P.S. To answer the original poster's question. I would focus on the body confirmation and lifestyle of the source of my parent stock above breed. I got some dark cornish hatchery birds that are pathetic but have eaten easter eggers that were surprisingly meaty. There you go. Easter eggers are great all around birds. They forage well and are fairly intelligent and wiley while still being friendly. They aren't really a breed though are the? Oh well that's how I'm voting.
This would be great if you were able to find a Cornish cross that could stay healthy and mobile until they reached egg laying age. Out of probably a thousand or more at this point, I'm not sure if I've ever seen one.

Jenks is right here in Oregon with us. Their freedom rangers have a very good feed conversion but the Roosters are the most savage animals alive. They will attack from acres away.

This would be great if you were able to find a Cornish cross that could stay healthy and mobile until they reached egg laying age. Out of probably a thousand or more at this point, I'm not sure if I've ever seen one.

Jenks is right here in Oregon with us. Their freedom rangers have a very good feed conversion but the Roosters are the most savage animals alive. They will attack from acres away.
I have new hampshire's from freedom rangers hatchery as well, we've been using them for meat and eggs for several years. I am just now realizing I need to start some selective breeding to get larger meat birds.

I find it very interesting that you mentioned mean roosters, as we've never had a single New Hampshire Red rooster get mean, or attack any of our staff or students that work the farm.

It is just from that hatchery. Not sure what the deal is, but the birds are the best in terms of conversion so I put up with it. Just need a stick when heading to feed 😂

I used to raise Cornish cross, but their life cycle just seemed so unnatural that it began to gross me out a bit. Plus, I just felt like their meat was kind of bland regardless of feed or finishing. The freedom ranger has a great flavor and dresses out at a nice size around 10 weeks.

I would like to get a sustainable line of meat birds going. I plan to incubate eggs to keep the line going.

In your opinion, what is the best breed for this, and why?
Bresse. They produce good meat and a decent egg production. I’m only 6 months in with them but I like them already. FYI butcher at 14-16 weeks they get tough older unless I’m doing something wrong.

To also make that self sustaining flock, you would need to also inject new a roo here and there to maintain hybrid vigor. Because I would like to have a fast maturing flock (not CX speed). I am planning something soon, my cross is coming soon a Assel/Shamo roo over New Hamp. hen.

I don't believe there is any one breed that is "best" for all of us for meat. What traits do you consider to be important in a meat bird. For some people it is size. Some want the best size at a specific age. Some prefer more dark meat than white. How much does egg laying matter to you? Some people prefer a white or buff bird instead of a dark feathered bird if they pluck because you get a prettier carcass with the pin feathers. If you skin or part out the bird that might not be as important. And so many other possible criteria.

All chickens within a breed are not created equal. Some people breed for meat, others may breed for better egg laying. Some breed for show. Some don't really breed for anything other than hatchable eggs. Even chickens of the same breed can widely differ.

If you have preferences for what makes a good meat bird to you then we can discuss it in more detail. We do those discussions all the time and you will find we have some pretty wide-ranging opinions. Often those discussions are fun.

One suggestion is if you already have an egg laying flock to hatch from them and see how that suits you. Many of us do that, that's why they are called dual purpose. Eggs and Meat. Or get a few different breeds that look good to you and try them in your conditions. See for yourself what works best for you.
Strangely, many of the premium French breeds are black feathered. The French seem less bothered by the stubble. I bought one from a butchers in Paris over Easter - still with head and veet so the punter could see what they were buying, and he blowtorched the down and stub ends off as I watched. It cost an arm and a leg and just dod 4 of us, but it was divine, especially washef down with a bottle of Pouilly Fumee!
My own suggestion for use with layers would be to mate them to a decent sized cock bird and let hybrid vigour bring the size up.

Back
Top Bottom