Inbreeding (first incubation under way)

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey all, I’ll be honest I’ve tried to read up on cross breeding, line breeding, inbreeding etc, but the family tree thing is a little confusing to me what I’m gathering is brother sister is suspect, father/daughter and mother/son (line breeding) is ok. I’ll try to explain my situation and see if y’all have any insight.

I have bluebell, barred rock, RIR, and sapphire gem hens

I have just added a welsummer rooster no relation whatsoever.

I’m incubating the bluebells for olive eggers/green egg layers as well as some barred rocks for Some sex linked birds

Now when this first hatch is done should I just keep hens? So the only option would be linebreeding later on?

I had thought about keeping maybe one rooster to have a second rooster. Would keeping a rooster from this hatch cause potential problems down the road

If he grows up to start doing his sister can things get weird??

I was told the same thing with my ducks
I thought about what ducks do in the wild. They usually stick with their hatch mates and nobody is asking are you my sister
I would imagine birds in the wild inbreed and I don’t recall seeing a wild duck with 10 toes
With that being said I just don’t incubate my eggs from my girls that have brothers as drakes in the flock if that helps
But I do eat all the eggs from everyone

Nothing to worry about. Considering they are different breeds, therefore very unrelated, you will never have to worry about your birds getting inbred.

Hey all, I’ll be honest I’ve tried to read up on cross breeding, line breeding, inbreeding etc, but the family tree thing is a little confusing to me what I’m gathering is brother sister is suspect, father/daughter and mother/son (line breeding) is ok. I’ll try to explain my situation and see if y’all have any insight.

I have bluebell, barred rock, RIR, and sapphire gem hens

I have just added a welsummer rooster no relation whatsoever.

I’m incubating the bluebells for olive eggers/green egg layers as well as some barred rocks for Some sex linked birds

Now when this first hatch is done should I just keep hens? So the only option would be linebreeding later on?

I had thought about keeping maybe one rooster to have a second rooster. Would keeping a rooster from this hatch cause potential problems down the road

If he grows up to start doing his sister can things get weird??
That’s a great question - thank you for asking! I was curious about that myself, it’s good to know these things :confused:

Back
Top Bottom