Inbreeding/line breeding questions

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
So, I'm trying to get partridge hens from my partridge rooster and black hen (they are bantam cochins, I know the breed shouldn't matter for the most part, but just saying what they were). I know I would have black with gold leakage in F1, and if I bred back to dad the F2 would be partridges and partridges with melanizers, but that isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking if would it be okay to bred the F2 back to their grandfather/dad, or would this be to much inbreeding?

It should be alright. They wouldn’t be too related: you crossed two different pure colors to start the project.
Plus, to create breeds and varieties, inbreeding is necessary. Otherwise they wouldn’t exist.

It should be alright. They wouldn’t be too related: you crossed two different pure colors to start the project.
Plus, to create breeds and varieties, inbreeding is necessary. Otherwise they wouldn’t exist.
That makes sense. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about inbreeding. I have chickens with one set of great, great grandparents. So their family tree has only two ancestors where they should have sixteen. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them.

Back
Top Bottom