Inbreeding Plymouth Rocks? need help.

youngchooklover

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 10, 2013
yo momma
So me and my mum have been arguing about inbreeding with chickens.
I have a Plymouth rock rooster named Matthew he has had a sore leg now for 1 year.
We have hatched some babies from him so I thought to give Matthew to some friends and keep one of his sons.
If we keep Matthews son will inbreeding start and if so is it bad?

With chickens it's not a huge concern. That is how the most famous lines have come about. Because they want the EXACT genetics, they have to breed related chickens. Usually it's grandparents and grandchildren or moms with sons I believe. But the chicks will most likely hatch and thrive. It shouldn't be a problem, cause HEY what do you think they did before domestication? Great question!

With chickens it's not a huge concern. That is how the most famous lines have come about. Because they want the EXACT genetics, they have to breed related chickens. Usually it's grandparents and grandchildren or moms with sons I believe. But the chicks will most likely hatch and thrive. It shouldn't be a problem, cause HEY what do you think they did before domestication? Great question!

Thanks.

Most people do not breed brothers and sisters, but in line breeding, it is common to breed mothers to sons, and fathers to daughters. So as long as your rooster isn't bred to any of his sister, he can be bred to other hens in the flock.

Oh, it doesn't matter who mates whom, but I would not breed the brother to the sisters. When you are getting ready for breeding, say in early spring, you will want to separate his sisters, which will help to keep too much inbreeding where bad faults and genetic traits may get passed along. Then when breeding season is over, and you don't want to hatch more eggs, put them all back together.

Last edited:
Brother ands sisters can mate with one another just I wouldn't hatch the chicks because although they could hatch and seem perfectly fine they could have extremely weak immune systems,hereditive problems and all sorts of stuff that's not clear to you right away or it could be internal problems fertility rates could sink hens won't lay very well and etc. Mothers to sons,father to daughter and other is ok just now sibling hatches.This goes with most animals,dogs,cats,rabbits,horses,and so forth.You could get away with it in the first generation and even the next but then all of a sudden you could have chicks that never grew certain body parts in severe cases.

Brother ands sisters can mate with one another just I wouldn't hatch the chicks because although they could hatch and seem perfectly fine they could have extremely weak immune systems,hereditive problems and all sorts of stuff that's not clear to you right away or it could be internal problems fertility rates could sink hens won't lay very well and etc. Mothers to sons,father to daughter and other is ok just now sibling hatches.This goes with most animals,dogs,cats,rabbits,horses,and so forth.You could get away with it in the first generation and even the next but then all of a sudden you could have chicks that never grew certain body parts in severe cases.
Thank you Poult. This is the info I was looking for. I was wondering how to prevent issues I see in neighbor's flock. When ready to do another hatch I will remove the roos from the just hatched group and leave the daughters with the existing flock. Remove some of the mothers and place them with their sons. Thank you, DB

You can breed brother to sister - just don't do it often.

I think the biggest issue here is that you've got a rooster with a significant physical issue - he's not breeding quality.

If you've got chicks missing limbs in 2 generations - it's not an inbreeding issue - it's a severe issue in your parent stock.

Back
Top Bottom