inclosure for chicks

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have some chicks in a brooder in the coop, they range between 10-16 weeks.
I am planning on slowly introducing them to my older flock, but only when i am able to watch and supervise them. In the mean time i would like to be able to let the chicks range outside during the day but i need ideas for blocking a small section of the garden off for them. It needs to be quick, simple and cheap as it is only for a short while, has anyone got ideas or pictures you can share with me?
I need to sort this out asap as i feel sorry for them being cooped up in a brooder all day, every day so any help will be greatly appreciated.
TY

I have used a roll of cheap plastic poultry fence. It cost us about $10.00 or so dollars maybe $15.00. This is kinda like what we used but I am almost 100% sure we didn't spend that much on it. http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 and put plastic tomato stakes through it. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 The stake kinda woven through and we can take it out unroll it stab the stakes into the ground wherever/whenever we want it to contain chicks, then when we are done we pull up the stakes that only leave very small holes. That was the best thing we figured out to contain chicks.

Christal

Last edited:
Thank you Christal, sounds like a good idea. My concern with that would be if the older flock jump over and attack them as it's not very high, did yours ever try and get in to it to get to the chicks?

I used the same fencing and didn't have any orblem with the older girls and the rooster hung around the fence and talked to the kids. but every chicken can be different so I would watch them at least for awhile. Most of my girls just came over for a look and then went away doing there own thing.

Quote:
The fence is a bit over 120 cm, so it is a good bit of height, we were able to use it for a while, normally when they started jumping the fence they would just sit on the top for a while, but the flimsy movement of it would flip them out and they would jump back. By the time they would hop the 4 ft (120 cm) and not get freaked it was time for them to head to the coop. I also use an old kitchen cupboard from a charity shop as a small little coop for them that I will normally put a light in for them. That way if they get a chill or rains they can get out of the weather.

When not using the cupboard I use it to store all of my other brooding stuff, chick feeders/waters, left over pine shavings, lampt etc, and put the whole thing in my shed covered with some plastic till needed again, takes up a pretty small area, cost little works well.

Hope this helps.

Christal

Quote:
The fence is a bit over 120 cm, so it is a good bit of height, we were able to use it for a while, normally when they started jumping the fence they would just sit on the top for a while, but the flimsy movement of it would flip them out and they would jump back. By the time they would hop the 4 ft (120 cm) and not get freaked it was time for them to head to the coop. I also use an old kitchen cupboard from a charity shop as a small little coop for them that I will normally put a light in for them. That way if they get a chill or rains they can get out of the weather.

When not using the cupboard I use it to store all of my other brooding stuff, chick feeders/waters, left over pine shavings, lampt etc, and put the whole thing in my shed covered with some plastic till needed again, takes up a pretty small area, cost little works well.

Hope this helps.

Christal

I will be going out today and buying it, many thanks, i am sure the chicks are going to be so happy to be able to go out every day and be safe.
I do have a plastic dog house that i will be putting out with them so that they have some where to get into if they want or need.
Thanks again, Marlene.

I made a "playpen" from timber and wire I had left over from various other projects. I only have four chicks so it's only a small playpen but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to go larger. I made it just low enough for me to be able to step into it (easier to catch them and put them back in the brooder that way), and enclosed it on four sides with wire. The bottom and top are open so I can stand inside it and easily lift it and "walk" it to a different spot any time I need to. It's easy to add a removable roof (I used a sheet of plywood but you could also put bird netting) as needed to stop the girls jumping out, or the big girls or my cat jumping in.

Here it is inside my enclosed run for the day:
91980_p1080939.jpg

And a closeup out on the lawn:
91980_img_1799.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you every one for the ideas.
Went to buy the green plastic fencing and was shocked to see a roll of it was £48 and the stakes to hold it on place were £8 each, so i did not buy it as it was too expensive.
I think for now i will put the big girls out to freerange and lock up the run for the chicks, the big girls won't be able to get in and the chicks won't be able to get out of it so they should be safe. The only problem will be the big girls getting in to the nest boxes to lay, maybe i will have to leave the chicks in the brooder till they have layed then let the chicks out.
It will only be for another 4 weeks or so till i integrate them all in together.

Back
Top Bottom