Incomplete egg shell formation

Ranak

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2020
Hello all-

Attached is a photo of an egg I found today from my Ameraucana. There is a hole in the shell (doesn't appear to be pecked but rather formed that way) with the sack sealed off and the tab of the sack sticking out.

I found about five days ago an egg sack with no shell on the floor of the coop. What is ailing the chicken and how can I remedy?

The first egg from her was perfect. The second was cracked from hitting other eggs in the nest (or so I thought at the time).

Truly appreciate any insight and advice the group can provide.
Thanks,aim
Ameraucana egg anomaly.jpg

Wow, those links are fabulous resources! Thank you so much for sending them out.

Yes, she is a new layer. I have a mixture of scratch grains, black oil sunflower and a 20% egg producer feed that my local feed store makes. They love the scratch grains and sunflower seeds. Haven't gone through much of the feed since they free-range all over the farm and seem to not be hungry when they get back to the coop. Thanks for the insight on working out the kinks! I'll monitor her progress. cheers.

Feed the layer feed as 90% of their diet. Hold off with any scratch or SF seed for a few days to get them eating better. Then just give a small handful of those for treats. Scratch has only 7% protein. Both scratch and SFSeed are not complete or balanced diet, and her problem might be a calcium or vitamin/mineral deficiency. Infectious bronchitis virus can cause a lot of egg shell problems, but I would make sure that she is eating the layer feed and getting access to crushed oyster shell for extra calcium. They also need access to grit to help with digestion.

Scratch is like feeding them a diet of Snickers Bars.

Special treats only. And if you want to give them a great treat, skip the scratch and get them some meal worms. Or veggie trimmings.

If I were going to buy scratch, I'd give them a handful at Christmas. That's about it.

Yesterday I gave them the shells from a spaghetti squash I'd had for dinner the previous night. You'd have thought I was throwing a hen party.

Thanks for all the advice and I'll incorporate these practices now. I'll view scratch as I do sodas for my son: doesn't get them except on very special occasions! Super cute idea on the stockings! Appreciate your time to respond.

Back
Top Bottom