Incorporating new chickens/rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ehlena99, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi All!! It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been reading! I haven't been able to find the answer to this question though.

I have a flock of birds that until yesterday was 8 hens and a rooster. They were raised (mostly) together and are about 18 months old. The rooster was horribly mean though, and so after raising a bunch of other chicks this year I decided to turn him and another 6 roosters into stew. I then moved the new hens and 1 new rooster into the coop. (They are 20 weeks old) It's been very quiet- in fact so quiet that I just don't know exactly what's going on. It looks to me like the rooster is making sure that the 3 young hens and the 7 older hens are kept completely separate. The older hens seem like they are so afraid that sometimes they won't even come out of the coop and into the run. I understand that they are rubbed completely raw from the old rooster, so I wonder if that could be leading to their fear? My question really has to do with making sure that I'm doing the right thing by just letting them be together in the coop and run and letting them mix on their own, or should I separate the rooster for a while to let the hens work it out? I just expected a big loud ruckus yesterday morning when they all woke up together and just never got it.

Help! (And Thanks in advance!)
    Holly

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    My heavens, no, I don't take it as criticism- I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know!

I think they are being kept separate because if I throw scraps or scratch everyone rushes out to get it. The new Roo gets in between the young and the old and soon the old run away back into the coop. Or vice versa, the new all run back into the coop. I don't see them being chased, but it's almost like they are.

I hope that this one is a good rooster. I know he's nicer than the other (that wouldn't take much) but just isn't old enough to make that judgment yet.

They have been able to see and hear each other for the last 8 weeks or so- not right next door, but within view. I read a lot about how to incorporate them, and just tried the "put them in at night and when they wake up no one knows what's different" this time. I know they could hear the roosters leaving- they were a little upset- and thought maybe just the stress of one leaving and 4 new chickens moving in was just a bit too much.

Would it be more upsetting if I take them out again and put them into a cage in the coop? I was trying to make the least amount of crazy, but maybe that was the mistake....

THanks again!

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by