Incorrect Combs--How does it happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Peaches Lee, May 9, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Say a breed is supposed to have a walnut comb but develops a single comb, how does this happen? Is it a genetic throwback, is it some sort of evolutionary trait or anamoly? Anyway, thanks for your input. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are basically two genes that control the comb, pea and rose. How these combine determines what the comb looks like. A walnut comb is produced when the genotype has at least one dominant of each gene (R_P_). Single comb means an absence of either of these dominant genes.

What I suspect happened with yours is that the Walnut parents had one dominant and one recessive of each R and P. If that is the case, some of their offspring will get pure none-dominant versions and be single combed.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I could have had it crossed in..

Chris

4. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for your replies. My question is regarding to some hatchery quality Silkies I have. It appears that two have single combs. Ironically (or maybe not) they both look ALOT alike--both have gold/yellow masks around their face. What could have been crossed with them do you think?

5. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Just thought I'd give this a bump for more input.

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I doubt they are crossed with anything but Silkies. I have some Silkies from Welp and some have single combs. Silkie combs are rose modified by the crest. So if you cross two Silkies impure for rose R/r+, 25% will have single combs. No evolution involved.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    THere are more comb genes than just rose and pea comb genes. Some silkies have a true walnut comb; others have a modified rose comb. I have read that crest will downsize a comb, but that has not been my experience. I have had a number of well-crested boys with large combs. Some of my birds have true walnut combs; others have modified rose combs. I breed for true walnut, though.

As was already stated, a bird can have a good comb with one rose comb and (possibly) one pea comb gene. Doesn't require homogygous alleles. So, some of the offspring will have the genes segregate into single combs, rose combs, pea combs and walnut combs. I've had all of these from time to time.

8. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    After reading this thread I went out & stared at the silkie chicks in the garage. Lo & behold --- the best colored cuckoo has a straight comb! [​IMG] Naturally! I was debating whether I wanted to work with them or not & now I'm leaning towards not. [​IMG] The other one's comb is already getting red.

I guess I've been very lucky till now. I never hatched a silkie with a straight comb before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by