Increase egg production

birdfishfarms

Hatching
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Hi everyone, i recently heard that you can increase egg production by feeding your chickens crushed oyster shell, i havent tried it yet, but i was wondering if anyone else had any tips on increasing egg production.

Anything proven effective is most helpfull, i have 4 buffs and 3 reds and all lay well, i was just wondering if there might be any organic tricks to more production

Last edited:
WelcometoBYC.gif

I have not read that crushed oyster shell will increase egg production. I provide it for my chickens in order to keep the eggshells nice and hard.

First off...Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

As far as your question goes: Oyster shell will not increase your egg production under normal circumstances. Oyster shell is supplimental calcium used most often as free choice for flocks that might be being fed a non laying feed. For example.... I have a mixed flock of layers, breeders, and young pullets that are not laying yet, so I feed a general flock raiser for everyone but I still need to provide more calcium for the hens that are laying and need it. Which they will take free choice.
For most folks that just have layers and/or breeders; a good quality laying feed has more than enough calcium. Oyster shell also does not take the place of grit....it should only be used as a calcium suppliment and only if specifically needed.

Your production should be starting to increase with spring arriving. But you can check or do the following:

1. Feed a good quality complete feed and make absolutely certain they always have clean water available.
  2. Keep the coop as clean as you can
  3. Check the size and position of the laying boxes
  4. Make certain their area gets plenty of natural light and clean air exchange (probably the most important for production) provide artificial light if you must so they get about 14 hours or more of light a day

There are lots of other things as well involving their health and parasites, etc.....but the above is where everyone should start.

Last edited:
Crushed pepper on the other hand "is said" to increase production of layers that have slowed...

I think I'll go put some in the feeder today in fact.

Back
Top Bottom