Increase in people raising their own chickens?

*sideskirting all the landmines*

There has been an increase in backyard chicken keeping, but not especially this last year. I'd say it's really peaked the last five years or so. Every spring sees a new flush of members to this site as folks visit TSC or wherever and buy some chicks, then do what we all do now and google how to care for them.

It is tied in to the whole local/"better" food movement, the self-sufficiency, back to the land, whatever you want to call it. And yep, the Interwebz sure helps spread such trends. When my folks were learning about chicken keeping back in the 70s, they had to find books or a garrulous farmer
lol.png

I agree Diva!! It is great that everyone can express their opinions freely!!! My husband is part of an Ag Forum and wow, those people just get downright nasty with comments and criticisms!! Everyone here is great and very accepting of different views....and who knows by taking time to understand an opposing viewpoint, we might just learn something new!!! That is so great!

And yes, nothing cuter than the chicks at Runnings in the spring!!!! The folks at our Runnings are super helpful with advice and information about how to get started in the chick business!!!

Back
Top Bottom