Increased Deaths with Current Batch of CX's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JohnL11935, Nov 2, 2010.

1. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

We raise about 500 broilers per year (~350 Jumbo Cornish from MMM and ~150 Freedom Rangers). Took delivery of current batch of 90 males about two weeks ago. Since then we have lost 30%. Had the usual couple of DOA's and a few more on Day 2, but we continue to lose 2 to 5 birds per day ever since.

My brooder setup is the same I've always used (4x8 box inside a secured barn), fresh crumbles from my usual place, plenty of water w- Broiler Booster, three infrared lamps; really, nothing different from how I've always cared for them.

For some reason these birds were sent Priority Mail rather than Urgent Mail, so they spent an extra day in transit - but I would think they would've recovered from that fairly quickly.

I usually count on 10% mortality with the CX's but waking up to find what were healthy birds now look like they were run over by a truck every morning is starting to get to me.

Has anyone else had similar experience with recent deliveries from MMM?

Thanks.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Could it be they are piling at night? Even though you've used the same set-up all year perhaps there isn't enough heat with the cooler nights now. Not sure if this is the problem, but it's the only thing I can think of.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agreeing with big red. IF they look like they were "flattened by a truck' they were at at the bottom of a pile up; add more lights. Even if this is how you always have done it, this is not the same batch you have always had. Good luck!

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Did you figure out why it was happening?

5. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    I'm having a similar problem. 2 dead in the box, one with a twisted neck in box, 2 with curled toes I couldn't bring out of it, 3 just up and died (2 this week). This is my last batch and arrived Oct. 14th or so. I don't think I'll take delivery of chicks after Oct. 1 next year. Another batch arrived the week before and is doing fine. Besides, the pasture is ready to rest.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    twisted neck and curled toes treat with intense vitamin therapy.

7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    what were your temps in the brooder?

8. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    my batch from MMM was received Oct. 8 (of course, i am way further south and we still have green grass). Currently, I only lost one to flip ( one week after arrival). The remainders are vigorous and seemingly healthy.
    other than temp--- ck feed for mold??? i dunno what else it could be...30%mortality is very disturbing. so sorry... hope the wise ones on here can assist to finding an answer for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by