Incredible lays!!

First pic is our 3 girl jumbos they have laid in 48hrs. The size of them compared to our cali quail girl.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_000608.jpg
    IMG_20210713_000608.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210713_000647.jpg
    IMG_20210713_000647.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 7
We thought our English white and cali girls were good layers.....till we got the jumbo cortinex!!!! Wow!!!! Some lay 2 a day!! And amazing sized eggs too!! The very first we broke open was a double yolker!!
No bird can lay 2 eggs per day. It takes 24 to 26 hours for the ovum to travel through the reproductive tract.
They may appear to lay 2 a day but in reality the first ovum (egg) was delayed in the process, this can be for multiple reasons, stress, fear of predation...cat, dog, raccoon, even people are some of the reasons.
When the first egg is at the point of lay, the second ovum has been released and has started the process.
So for the sake of simplifacation, egg one gets layed at 5am. The second egg gets layed at 5 or 6pm, thus appearing that the hen has layed twice in one day!

No bird can lay 2 eggs per day. It takes 24 to 26 hours for the ovum to travel through the reproductive tract.
They may appear to lay 2 a day but in reality the first ovum (egg) was delayed in the process, this can be for multiple reasons, stress, fear of predation...cat, dog, raccoon, even people are some of the reasons.
When the first egg is at the point of lay, the second ovum has been released and has started the process.
So for the sake of simplifacation, egg one gets layed at 5am. The second egg gets layed at 5 or 6pm, thus appearing that the hen has layed twice in one day!
So then technically... They did then.

I believe Sean was responding to the "some lay 2x a day" comment. While yes in the case described 2 eggs were laid in the same 24 hour time frame the statement some lay 2x's a day is not a correct statement as its biologically impossible. What they had was a left over from the prior day and the normal daily egg. I've had this happen lots of times. I have 5 hens in a pen and now and then I get 4 or 3 on one day and then 6 the next. Doesn't mean I have hens that lay 2 eggs a day. The jumbos do lay a much larger egg though. Which is a correct statement.

Back
Top Bottom