Incubated egg chicks with mother of one month old?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardenDave, Aug 7, 2013.

1. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi all, hope you don't mind me posting a question so soon after joining.

I have a three week old chick with her mother now, but some eggs in the incubator which should be hatching next week. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put the mother in the brooder with her existing chick and the new chicks next week? Or just the mother or perhaps even just the chick? Not sure if either would attack the new chicks or not.

Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Under such circumstances, most hens will at least peck if not full out attack the chicks. She is fully bonded to her one chick by now, and all others will be regarded as strangers and a possible danger or competition.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG] Hi,GardenDave! Glad you joined us!

As I tell my kids, asking questions is how you learn things. Sometimes, of course, what they learn is just how little I know about some things. . . but never mind.[​IMG]

If these were my chickens, I wouldn't put them together until they are much, much older. Some hens are very mothery and will take care of any chick they see, but they are exceptional. I think it far more likely that she will know they aren't her chicks, and try to drive them away. Her chick might only be trying to establish itself in the pecking order, but at 4 weeks, it will be a lot bigger, and it could kill newly hatched chicks.

Good hatching vibes for a bunch of little cheepers![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice and warm welcome. I was thinking something similar but I wasn't sure. I know it takes a while for adults to get used to each other enough to share a coop but I wasn't sure how she would react with another chick as she would have spent time with her own. I guess I will have to be mummy myself loool, in which case I am due on 22nd :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by