lyndy53

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
I've been incubating some eggs and one of my hens has finally decided to sit, can I put some of the eggs I've been incubating under her? Will she accept them when they hatch?

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
Take a few eggs and see if she wants them. I'd keep a couple in the bator until you're sure. If she's going to set- sneak the rest under- preferrably at night. If she hatches them, she will most likely accept them. Make sure you don't give her more eggs than she can handle. Also- give her a sheltered place that other hens won't be able to lay in her nest.

Dirt Road

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Southern Idaho
How far along are the eggs you are incubating? The hen will have to be broody for more than a few days in order to accept chicks as a rule. A few don't seem to care, but most will have to have been broody for a couple of weeks.

Jim

lyndy53

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
They're due to hatch next Thursday, she's been sitting for about a week

Dirt Road

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Southern Idaho
If you are going to be brooding some chicks anyway, I'd suggest you just keep the eggs you've already started, and give the hen a few fresh eggs to deal with. Especially if it is a first time hen you really don't know how she would react. Just my opinion.

Jim

lyndy53

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
of the five eggs I put under my hen 4 hatched 1 died and the other 3 are thriving, she's a fearsome mom and very protective

Top Bottom