Incubated eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lyndy53, Jun 20, 2009.

1. lyndy53

lyndy53 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    I've been incubating some eggs and one of my hens has finally decided to sit, can I put some of the eggs I've been incubating under her? Will she accept them when they hatch?

2. jqs birds

jqs birds Songster

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    She will except any egg you put under her and hatch them just fine. [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Take a few eggs and see if she wants them. I'd keep a couple in the bator until you're sure. If she's going to set- sneak the rest under- preferrably at night. If she hatches them, she will most likely accept them. Make sure you don't give her more eggs than she can handle. Also- give her a sheltered place that other hens won't be able to lay in her nest.

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    How far along are the eggs you are incubating? The hen will have to be broody for more than a few days in order to accept chicks as a rule. A few don't seem to care, but most will have to have been broody for a couple of weeks.

Jim

5. lyndy53

lyndy53 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    They're due to hatch next Thursday, she's been sitting for about a week

6. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If you are going to be brooding some chicks anyway, I'd suggest you just keep the eggs you've already started, and give the hen a few fresh eggs to deal with. Especially if it is a first time hen you really don't know how she would react. Just my opinion.

Jim

7. lyndy53

lyndy53 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    of the five eggs I put under my hen 4 hatched 1 died and the other 3 are thriving, she's a fearsome mom and very protective

8. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    [​IMG] Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: