Incubating and a power outage

In a modern build, tight as houses are becoming, not sure I'd want to go oil lamps, either. Too bad you can't use a chimney-style charcoal starter just outside the door, in a garage, or other non living space, to heat some salt, use it as a source of thermal mass...
I do have a wood burning chiminea but not sure how that could help because I don't have a way to ventilate outdoors. Well, actually....I'm not sure about that. My DH bought a 55 gallon barrel for the purposes of building a wood burning stove in his shop (detached from the house). He has all the parts, I believe.... He was just waiting for the weather to warm up a tad before putting it all together.

Our propane heater has an ODS sensor to allow it to be used indoors. But still makes me paranoid.... Let's just hope I'm not put in a position to have to worry about it because my OCD will go into overdrive.

I didn't think of those.... I have an entire box of them although they are 2 yrs old, I think. They MIGHT even be the extended heat ones that work for 8-10 hrs or something like that. I guess if that's all I have, it is worth a try!

Let's just keep our hopes up that they don't cut the power!
I’d also cover the incubator with a heavy blanket or towels but leave a little open area.

I just reached out to a very good friend of mine who is a NERC Compliance engineer for a major power company in the US. I asked him what the heck is happening with the power grid that is leading to all of these blackouts everywhere. First of all, let me say that his response is pretty complicated and CANNOT be tied down to a simple answer. However, his response basically came down to these components:

*Wind farms down due to weather/cold
*Solar not efficient enough to provide mass storage in winter
*Hydro plants frozen up
*Natural Gas is nearly tapped out due to Administration shutting down Keystone pipeline; gas companies are pushed to generators which is adding to the electrical grid
*Coal plants have been increasingly shut down by Administration(s)
*Electric Grid - basically these systems are now carrying the weight of the entire country which previously had relied on a mix of other systems noted up to offload capacity or at least supplement it. Nuclear plants like the one in my state are siphoning off power storage to provide energy to northern states to keep them from going offline altogether.

Basically sounds like the whole house of cards is about to come tumbling down because politicians don't understand the interconnected nature of the infrastructure and how their decisions will affect the system and its ability to keep people alive.

There's an 80% chance you'll have a bunch of broken eggs.

You cannot make a hen go broody. You can up the chances by leaving eggs in the box, but that is not a guarantee. She's also not going to see the eggs and immediately go broody and sit on them.

Mine go broody all the time too. I have a breed that is inclined to though. They also decide all on their own when they go broody.
Maybe my chickens are just weird then...lol... but then again I have ducks who are ALWAYS broody...lol

Back
Top Bottom