Incubating and hatched chicks

JenNel531

Hatching
Nov 17, 2020
Arkansas
So we are incubating baby chicks for the first time and started getting some hatchlings overnight (7 so far!). This morning after letting the flock out for the day one of our missing hens showed up with 5 babies close behind. Wow, what an amazing coincidence! Is this an opportunity to possibly integrate our incubator chicks with the flock and the mama early? Any suggestions or tips? It has been 60’s for a high during the day and lows in the upper 40’s where I’m at. I’m afraid to put them out with the mama and they get too cold.

Attachments

• DA4F1CEE-D091-4DE6-878E-FB3F4B707E89.jpeg
    DA4F1CEE-D091-4DE6-878E-FB3F4B707E89.jpeg
    996.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4DB780E4-B768-45A5-B290-B0869EE9AB7C.jpeg
    4DB780E4-B768-45A5-B290-B0869EE9AB7C.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like you could end up with quite a few from the incubator. From the picture it looks like 6 already? Possibly too many for little mama when added to her current 4. I’d brood them separately if there are that many. But my broody experience is from decades ago — maybe she could handle them.

So we are incubating baby chicks for the first time and started getting some hatchlings overnight (7 so far!). This morning after letting the flock out for the day one of our missing hens showed up with 5 babies close behind. Wow, what an amazing coincidence! Is this an opportunity to possibly integrate our incubator chicks with the flock and the mama early? Any suggestions or tips? It has been 60’s for a high during the day and lows in the upper 40’s where I’m at. I’m afraid to put them out with the mama and they get too cold.
I had a Buff Orpington take care of a dozen chicks but they were all from eggs she sat on, don't know if a hen would allow integration or not. I'd put a couple of your incubated chicks in by her and just watch and see. If she doesn't you can just go back to doing it as you planned.

I’d give it a go depending on how many babies hatch in the incubator. However, be prepared to brood them separately because some chickens can either count or know exactly who is and isn’t hers. Try putting them under her at night but be there in the morning to watch how she’s handling things. Good luck!

If you’re going to integrate chicks, sneak them under her at night and do it before they’re 3 days old. If you wait longer you risk them not knowing to cuddle up under her.

Back
Top Bottom