Incubating chicken eggs- power went out for 3 days

Alisa Henley

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hi all, I put 40 eggs in the incubator and 2 days later the power went out, I immediately put a blanket over the incubator but the power was out for 3 days. I live in Hawaii so it's not freezing here but 3 days seems too long. Is it too late? I was thinking of candling in a few days to see but I was curious on others thoughts and experiences. I'm running a little giant still air incubator.

Hi all, I put 40 eggs in the incubator and 2 days later the power went out, I immediately put a blanket over the incubator but the power was out for 3 days. I live in Hawaii so it's not freezing here but 3 days seems too long. Is it too late? I was thinking of candling in a few days to see but I was curious on others thoughts and experiences. I'm running a little giant still air incubator.
Aloha! Kauai here. Are these your eggs? Do you have access to more easily?
I figure you can do one of 2 things. If it were summer I may feel differently but that coldfront/kona low dropped our temps some and you may be best off starting from scratch.
If you don't have access to more eggs of the same then fired it up and candle in 10 days. Not a lot of harm in that either. I'd just worry about defects that may be possible and no one wants. Like failure to thrive ☹ everything looks good but it aint.

Aloha! Kauai here. Are these your eggs? Do you have access to more easily?
I figure you can do one of 2 things. If it were summer I may feel differently but that coldfront/kona low dropped our temps some and you may be best off starting from scratch.
If you don't have access to more eggs of the same then fired it up and candle in 10 days. Not a lot of harm in that either. I'd just worry about defects that may be possible and no one wants. Like failure to thrive ☹ everything looks good but it aint.
Aloha! Im on the Big Island, Yes these are my eggs and I have already started setting aside eggs when the power went out. I'll just start over, it's a bummer but I dont want to worry about defects or any other issues. Thanks for your response and everyone else who replied 😊

Back
Top Bottom