1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating chicks WITHOUT shells!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunnySideUpGUAM, Jul 16, 2016.

1. SunnySideUpGUAM

SunnySideUpGUAM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    Has anyone seen the videos or heard of incubating chicks without their shells? I saw a video on FB from a Japanese class where the students incubated chicks in a lil cup without eggshells and they were able to see the development every step of the way. It was really cool. I was thinking that probably makes it unnecessary to turn the eggs and possibly easier to manage humidity too. Watch think BYC?

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Yes i have seen that video. It fascinated me but also kinda grossed me out.... I thought the same thing... u would probably not have to turn them and it would make it a whole lot easier to know which are fertile and which are not

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  3. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    yup i wonder if anyone has used this method to incubate more than just a few. i mean it seems easier already without turning or candling eggs. and for those of us who want to make our own incubators, it would mean less designing as far as turners. and no messing with settings after candling

4. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey can someone give me a link to the video?

5. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise

here you go its spoken in Japanese with english subtitles.

6. lpyrbby

lpyrbby Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone in one of my FB groups successfully did it but I can't for the life of me remember which one and the problems she had. I think out of 5 or 6 eggs, only one made it through the full term.

7. Athaid

Wow, that was amazingly weird. Did you see the heartbeat?

8. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise

if you get a chance please ask her if its worth trying this method for a large amount of eggs or just going with a cabinet incubator with egg turners?

9. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise

yup saw it. Im hoping to try it out for fun!

10. Athaid

Be sure to post about it if you do, I'm very interested :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by