incubating cold eggs

klotzoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
i have been collecting my eegs for about a week, and for some dumb reason sticking them in my refridgerator......is it even possible to try now? or do i need to start with new ones?

you can still set them, plenty of people here have done it. DO NOT PUT THEM IN COLD. You need to let them come to room temp first so they don't sweat
thumbsup.gif
good luck

Totally go for it! I have three in my bator now - still candling well that were nearly frozen in the chicken coop before I found them. While it IS a cr*pshoot, it can pay off.

Best wishes from here

I was not intending to hatch any of my EE or Welsummer eggs so I put them all in the fridge. Well one day we went to the local farm store to buy some chicks but they were sold out. So we picked an incubator up instead. I only had 5 freshly laid eggs, but I wanted to pack the incubator so I took out all my refrigerator eggs from the past week to two weeks and put them in the incubator too. Of course I let them sit out overnight to come to room temp first.

So far after candling, it looks like all of them, fresh and refrigerated eggs, are growing like a charm. Hopefully they all hatch out.

Quote:
I second this. I've had eggs that were below freezing in the coop (but not cracked) that I kept out and allowed to warm up before setting, and they've hatched. Not all of them, but a good number of them will. So don't give up on them yet.
wink.png

I put 48 in bator on the 3rd. Of these, 12 were fresh, never refrigerated. The rest had been in for at least three to 10 days. Now many of these were pullet eggs who are just getting started real well. I candled on the 13th with 20 of 48 looking very good. My advice for anyone is give it a shot!

Back
Top Bottom