Incubating Coturnix Quail Eggs

In my still air incubator I kept the temp at 100 degrees for my coturnix quail eggs. I kept the humidity (I'm guessing) at or around 50% the first 13 days, then on day fourteen bumped up the humidity. Had a good hatch. Good luck and hope you have a good hatch!

When i check a clutch for fertility, i tend to have a better hatch rate. with this method, i hatch about 85%.
A Dr Pepper can with a hole in the bottom (about 3/4 inch in diameter) and the other end opened with a can opener).
i put a short two cell AA LED flashlight under the can (turned on) and set the egg on the hole on the other end of the can.
check it for the dark spot, inside on the yoke. LED flashlight is the choice because it doesnt produce any excess heat on the can
to transfer to the egg while it sets on the can, and it puts out enough light to luminate the egg so you can see the spot.
with quail eggs (especially spotted eggs like coturnix) you gotta look all the way around the egg to get a good view, so the
egg is on there a good bit of time. A candle, you could potentially harm the egg...

I've just gotten 3 coturnix quail eggs. My aunt gave them to me. Her hens are laying each day but only 3 a day. She told me to come back in 3-4 days so I could have about a dozen. She told me to keep the eggs at room temperature until I get more. So... I was wonderin if I put my eggs over a vent that is set at 69 F. Would that keep the eggs from developing without killing it?

Don't put your eggs directly over a vent, you're just going to start drying them out prematurely.

Hatching eggs are fine at room temperature. Keep them pointy-end down and adjust their positions occasionally. Eggs aren't even going to try to start developing with temperatures lower than 85 degrees, if I'm remembering correctly.

I just started a dozen, I kept them in the basement while collecting for a week, so a little cooler than room temp.
Do you all think that the eggs will still be good?

Thanks for all the information guys and gals. You helped me achieve my first successful hatch with a 93% hatch rate. Here are some of the little faces saying thanks!

Thanks for all the information guys and gals. You helped me achieve my first successful hatch with a 93% hatch rate. Here are some of the little faces saying thanks!

Hey thats Awesome. They are so sweet.
Im reading this thread for the same reason. 2 out so far..really nerve wracking. I cant believe how teeny they really are. Super cool to see yours.
:weee

Yep I'm hooked too! I have my first eggs going in! I have 10 chook eggs in and I need to put my quails in 3 days later RIGHT??

ive had my chinese quail in since christmas eve. the temp has more or less stayed the same although the humidity has fluctuated. okay, so I read to stop turning at day 14 but also at day 14 is it right to lower the temp and increase the humidity?

I read somewhere you don't count the first day the eggs are in the incubator. Is this true? Starting to get worried . My jumbo eggs are on day 19 and still no movement. Should I consider them toast or is there still hope?

Back
Top Bottom