Incubating detached air cell eggs on their side

WilliamH

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
I am currently incubating my eggs in a egg carton because they have detached air cells. It is day 6-7 of incubation. I was wondering if it will be ok to incubate them on their side instead of upright. I want to use my automatic turner instead of hand turning.

I am currently incubating my eggs in a egg carton because they have detached air cells. It is day 6-7 of incubation. I was wondering if it will be ok to incubate them on their side instead of upright. I want to use my automatic turner instead of hand turning.
Hi! Are they detached or just loose?
Here we are 3 days later, how do the air cells look now?

They are loose not fully detached
There is a lot of debate how best to incubate them. The consensus seems to be upright is best. Have you read Sally Sunshine's hatching 101, incubating shipped eggs?https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/17631705
I found this helpful. Do the cells still look loose? Most people will icubate these upright in cut down egg cartons, turning gently from side to side several times a day. Some people will go ahead and set them with the turner. I have personally had more success with shipped eggs letting them turn on their sides with the autoturner once they have stablized. I have tried both methods. You should do what ever works best for you. If the aircells are too damaged, it will not matter which method you choose IMO.
Good luck! 😊

Back
Top Bottom