Incubating dirty eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Featherland, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    In a month or two I am planning on incubating some duck eggs. Most of the time my duck eggs are at least a little bit dirty or discolored and some are really dirty.

I do keep their coop and nesting boxes clean putting fresh straw in them as needed. I have heard about not washing your eggs you are planning to hatch. I have

hatched chicken eggs before but they were never as dirty as duck eggs. Does anyone wash their eggs they are planning on hatching?

If so is there a certain way to wash them?

2. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:i have washed them in luke warm water.
    Although i have never my self hatched a egg yet. My incubaters waffer was bad so it fluctuated way yoo much killed the eggs four days before hatch.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wipe the dirtier bits and put them in your bator. With spraying them mine are more clean now compared to when I put them it.

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I saw a thread where someone talked about cleaning eggs (chicken) with hydrogen peroxide. I just hate the idea of putting dirty eggs in the incubator.

I feel like bacteria will start growing. I could try washing them with warm water. Has anyone washed the eggs before incubating them? If so what were

your results?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by