Incubating double yolker by acident!

milleryardchx

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Washington State
So I candled this morning (day 8) out of 20 of my barnyard mix 2 were infertile and both were from my ugly sex-link chicken
hide.gif
that both roosters never seem to bug her haha I have other cute sex link she is just not. Anyways I have a hen don't know which one but whom ever it is lays the biggest white chicken eggs i ever seen always huge, looks like turkey eggs and they don't fit in egg cartons she has never layed a double yolker well I was candling today and I see two little dime size chicks swimming around! So what do you do with a double yolker? Is there a chance of them both hatching or is it more humane to cull now?
jumpy.gif

They won't be able to hatch out by them selves, so you'll have to help them out. But I've seen some people that had 2 double yokers and 1 or the eggs had 2 chicks that were alive and when she helped them out they were just fine, and the other had 1 healthy chick in it! I would keep incubating the double yoker!!! Best of luck. When are the supposted to hatch?

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

They won't be able to hatch out by them selves, so you'll have to help them out. But I've seen some people that had 2 double yokers and 1 or the eggs had 2 chicks that were alive and when she helped them out they were just fine, and the other had 1 healthy chick in it! I would keep incubating the double yoker!!! Best of luck. When are the supposted to hatch?

they are due the evening of the 15th so a few might be st. patties day chicks​

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Cool, so they're due in 13 more days!!! What kinds of eggs do you have in the bator?
jumpy.gif

a mix my two roosters are 1 EE, 1 BCM and the hens were any of the following BR, BO, sex-links, leghorns, Brahmas, EE brahma mixs, BCM EE mixes, one big fluffy white hen that I don't know what she is, RIR. All the babies will be a suprise of who mama and daddy is should make for some interesting egg layer colors from light brown to dark and to olive eggs​

I actually just read something on this subject. The author stated that it is unlikely that both embryos could grow to hatch. One there is not enough room inside of the egg for the both of them and second if they did, one would ge small but stronger than the other and both would unlikely survive. Sorry for the news but if they look like they are developing and due the 15th you do not have anything to loose and an extra chick to gain.

Back
Top Bottom