Incubating duck eggs- advice pretty please.

Pics

xx_li_xx

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
UK
Hello everyone.

I’m currently incubating welsh harlequins, I’ve found the whole thing fun, interesting and so so stressful ... haha.
They were shipped eggs and all had saddled air cells- although they don’t look so saddled anymore. They went into lockdown today, none had internally pipped although I could see at least 3 pushing their beaks against the membranes.
All were very active before going into lockdown and I’m sure all in the right position, although it’s my first time incubating so can’t be sure.

I’m just wondering on the process and a timeline... when should we expect internal pips, then external, then zipping etc.

I know all will be different and not exact and all kind of factors are involved but I thought it may be nice to have some sort of guide just to maybe help my little worry head that they all are going to fail to hatch.

Any advice greatly appreciated xxx

Thank you, that was brilliant.

We have been hearing peeping since last night, not loads but some. I did a quick candle from outside the incubator and it looked like at least one had internally pipped. However quick look this morning, expecting more as through the night we heard more noise and egg wobbles, yet all now look like none have made any progress, even the one that I swear had pipped.

Could it just be they are currently resting so we can’t see so clear yet?,

I’ve tried doing a couple videos to show what we can see but can’t seem to add them, best to explain is there is breathing moment round the edge of the air cell at the bottom like duckling is there but no beak movement but definitely hearing peeps and egg wobbles. All look pretty much the same however some have little dips.
Each egg pretty much looks same as this one just some have a little dip others don’t.

I know I’m worrying but it’s a first time experience and I’d love to learn whilst hopefully making sure we have a good hatch.

Attachments

• CA30791C-604E-4CDA-9F87-062780E0A479.jpeg
    CA30791C-604E-4CDA-9F87-062780E0A479.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 10
That looks like a large air cell, although I am no expert. Do you know what your humidity is, and how it has been earlier in the incubation period?
Movement and peeping are good signs, and it can all take quite a while.

A few are this size and then some smaller. They were all good sizes until they dropped down and then got bigger. They were shipped eggs though with saddled air cells so it’s always been a bit stressful with them. Is them being large going to be a bad thing? Anything I can do.

If I am correct, and I may not be, that the air cell is on the large side, this would suggest the humidity has been low. So long as sound and movement continue, all is well, though.

Hmm now I’m slightly worried. I thought we had humidity spot on. We were fighting against massive saddled air cells from the beginning. Thought we were lucky to have got this far with 8. Started with 12, 3 were infertile and one was scrambled. Be cruel to have made it this far to not make it with any.

Suppose il just keep my fingers crossed.
Thank you for replying :)

Back
Top Bottom