Incubating duck eggs- advice pretty please.

If you look closely you can see it’s two legs. The yolk, and how much my husband chipped away looking for the bill before we thought -oh sh** this is too much. Veins everywhere which is good but not now he’s missing so much shell and is apparently upside down :-(

Literally feel we had this little ones best interest at heart but we’ve majorly failed it

Attachments

• 5F1654D8-AD86-4131-A146-C10E25E7D0BC.jpeg
    5F1654D8-AD86-4131-A146-C10E25E7D0BC.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 0415C660-F631-4080-8DC5-E39D6058026D.jpeg
    0415C660-F631-4080-8DC5-E39D6058026D.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8F1189C3-A159-4141-B796-2DB62E52E937.jpeg
    8F1189C3-A159-4141-B796-2DB62E52E937.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 8
Not sure this pic any better. Every now and then it kinda pushes on itself but it’s like it just can’t not sure if thats because of all the vains or just isn’t ready but it’s definitely upside down I would say. I can’t actually picture how it is .

Attachments

• BBA6DDE8-3512-4129-A6BD-0BD565CAE06B.jpeg
    BBA6DDE8-3512-4129-A6BD-0BD565CAE06B.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 7
If you look closely you can see it’s two legs. The yolk, and how much my husband chipped away looking for the bill before we thought -oh sh** this is too much. Veins everywhere which is good but not now he’s missing so much shell and is apparently upside down :-(

Literally feel we had this little ones best interest at heart but we’ve majorly failed it
OK. don't panic, My first was in a worse state than that and she is a happy healthy bird. Wet some kitchen roll or a flannel with warm water, wrap it round the egg (not completely oxygen still needs to get in). Do not let it get cool. tap on the egg whilst holding it next to your ear, listen for tapping. You need to know where the bill is so you can assist if needed.

OK. don't panic, My first was in a worse state than that and she is a happy healthy bird. Wet some kitchen roll or a flannel with warm water, wrap it round the egg (not completely oxygen still needs to get in). Do not let it get cool. tap on the egg whilst holding it next to your ear, listen for tapping. You need to know where the bill is so you can assist if needed.

Would you say looking at that its upside down? im not sure what else I can do, to even try find the bill resulted in most its shell gone, i tried to encourage him/her to tap but nothing. The membrane is all stuck to the shell the other end so with all those vains it looks completely impossibly to help. :-/

If the bill is at the wrong side of the egg, I would suggest very carefully making a small hole as soon as you know where to make it. I think candling it would be a good idea right now. x

If the bill is at the wrong side of the egg, I would suggest very carefully making a small hole as soon as you know where to make it. I think candling it would be a good idea right now. x

I tried to candle and couldnt see anything and he/she barely seems to move. Shouldnt the veins be receeding? sorry im trying to learn as I go whilst praying my other babies are ok x

If it's barely moving and you're getting no response from tapping you may want to try find part of the membrane with few or no veins and open it a little. Have cornflour handy to stem any bleeding. I do not suggest doing this unless you feel the baby is going to die otherwise. In which case you have nothing to lose. The veins recede and yolk is absorbed once the baby is breathing fully, If as you feel it is breach it is probably not getting enough oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom