incubating duck eggs...

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I currently am the highest bidder on 2 sets of 6 duck eggs on ebay. Looks a lot like I will get one for sure, and possibly both. I was wondering what is different, if anything, with incubating duck eggs versus chicken eggs? I would really hate to buy eggs, only to mess them up with not knowing what I am doing! Any tips would be appreciated. If I don't get these, I have 4 pairs of ducks that should be laying next spring!!

Yeah, lol, I am probably the one who posted that link!!
lol.png
I have read, on other sites, that duck eggs humidity needs to be a lot higher though, like 70-80% during incubation. Was hoping some experienced duck incubating people might give me some personal insights... I have an LG still air bator with turner, if that helps? And also, would I be able to set them with chicken eggs, or should I hold them until the chick eggs hatch?

I hatched duck and chicken together (I've been told by some thats a no no)...the humidity and temp are the same, but the incubation days are different.....(although call ducks are small ducks and dont take as long as regular ducks).
Regular ducks take have a longer incubation period than chickens (not 21 days, but take up to 28 days to hatch) and you stop turning days 26 through 28.....You increase the humidity the same as for chickens the last few days also.

"For most eggs, a relative humidity of between 55 and 60 percent is adequate during the early period of incubation. During the 3 to 4 days just prior to hatching, humidity should be increased to about 70 percent.

Waterfowl eggs require higher humidity. Sprinkling or misting eggs daily may be necessary for proper hatching of waterfowl eggs."

I did not sprinkle my call duck eggs and my ducks were fine?? Good luck on your hatch!

Tina/tfpets

Here is an incubation period chart:
Chicken—21 days Pheasant—23 days
Duck—28 days Peafowl—29 days
Quail (Coturnix)—16 days Guinea—27 days
Duck (Muscovy)—36 days Ostrich—42 days
Goose—32 days Pigeon—18 days
Turkey—28 days Quail—23 days
Canary—13 days Parakeet—19 days
Prairie Chicken—23 days Grouse—23 days

Like I said I just want to be sure...I would hate to spend $ on eggs, only to mess them up with poor incubation!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Some of the eggs I tried were shipped, some were my own....I did not have as good a results with the shipped, but they were shipped...I got two out of six, not that bad, really?
I only put two of my own call duck eggs in and they both hatched....so I hatched four call ducks, but I had timed them to take 28 days and was surprised when they pipped early, found out AFTER they started pipping in the turner with the chicken eggs that they take less time than regular ducks. They were'nt dizzy or anything! I just had to be very careful and take em out wet, you know, break all the rules?? (Stay on the turned til hatch day, humidity didnt increase the last 3 days, took em out of the incubator as soon as they hatched to keep em from breaking their legs on the turners or disturbing the chicken eggs)

Nah....except for timing, I dont think duck eggs are any harder. I fact, I think they must be pretty hardy after what I did to them?

Tina/tfpets

I have 13 Indian Runner duck eggs due the 29th. This hatch has been an experiment for my aunt but so far everything looks good. I have misted them twice a day, other than that have kept the same temps as the chickens.
Somewhere on here I read where a woman kept them on a wet washcloth in the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom