incubating ducks eggs, help?

laughingllama75

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
NH
Hi,
I did some research on this forum to see what others did, but I will ask for some more advice. I have never set duck eggs, this will be a first for me. :O
I guess the general idea is to set them with a humidity of 65%, and the last 3 days raise it to 85%? Also, these are indian runners, I dont know if that makes a difference. Do I mist them, and how? With a water bottle, I am assuming, but like spray them till the surface is wet or ?????
Also, I have a still air incubator with auto turner. What should the top of the eggs temp be at?
Ok, thanks in advance for the help........I a setting these for a friend, hope they hatch.

I wish I could help? I hatched call duck eggs in the incubator, which I have heard are supposed to be pretty difficult, but I had them in with my chicken eggs and did a staggered hatch, so I didnt give them any special treatment (no higher humidity or misting) and they hatched fine! I had four out of six, the others were not fertile/developed(ebay eggs, shipped a loooonnnggg way)...
I dont think you need to worry about duck eggs being any more difficult than chicken eggs....or fuss over them any more than chicken eggs. Runner ducks are pretty sturdy too! My own ducks hatch them pretty well! I may go grab a few out of the yard and toss them in the bator right now! What a thought!
Someone should pipe up with some more specifics for you soon,
Good Luck!

Tina/tfpets

Thanks Tina,
If they were just for me, I wouldn't worry so much, lol. But I am doing these for a friend, and even though I told him it was a first for me, I would still like a good hatch. I think I have a dozen eggs, so the bator is all warmed up and I will be putting them in later. here's hoping!
fl.gif

Try to shoot for temp around 101.5 for still air, make sure you have a themometer you trust! If you are using still air, its probably ok not to mist, but once a day may improve hatches (I have excellent results misting 3 times a day with forced air) just a light misting, fine spray a few squirts is enough. Usually duck eggs will not hatch as well as chicken eggs, 85% is normal. Internal pipping usually occurs on day 25 but they usually do not pip shell until day 27, and take their time hatching. I would reccomend hand turning but if that is not an option, then the turner is fine. Want a little clue if you want to know if you are going to get a good hatch? day 26 or 27 put your ear up to the little vent hole. If you hear alot of ticking noises you will get a good hatch (a pipped duckling will make a ticking noise with each breath)

i set my call duck eggs just like my chicken eggs. same humidity and everything. they just take longer to hatch!!

i never misted mine, don't open the bator!!! just set them, check humidity often and stop turning on day 25!

i set 2 call duck eggs and 28 days later i had 2 baby ducks

The only thing I have heard thats really different from chicken eggs is the higher humidity and length of incubation. Good thread for info as I will be trying to hatch out some more Indian Runner eggs in the spring.

Quote:
And now I have your 2 baby ducks and they love me! And they love the bathtub, oh my gosh I wish I would have had a cam-corder!! They splashed and did their mad dives and darted from one end of the tub to the other like a flash. Hey that is a good name for the one that is the fastest Flash Gordon!!
love.gif
love.gif

Well, the eggs are in the bator, they are on day 8 now. I am trying to wait till day 12 before I candle them, the humidity is staying at 65, so I am leaving that alone.... no misting. We'll see.......I set 30 eggs (I think!) so here's hoping we get a good batch. I will let you know how the candling goes. Thanks for everyones help.
Oh, JMajors, I used to have a dog named flash gordon. he was a hellion, you may want to re-think the name, LOL.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom