Incubating Egg

CayleeMarie03

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
I just got a rooster yesterday and wanted to know how long after words should you start incubating and candling the eggs.
I collect the eggs today and put them in an egg carton and set them on the counter in my basement. I just turned them upside down. Thats what you should do right? I am getting my incubator tomorrow. I am collecting the egg swe get tomorrow too. I will put them in the incubator. Am I doing the right thing?

If you just got the rooster yesterday I wouldn't start gathering eggs until 7-10 days later, you have to give him time to do his "job" I also make sure my incubator is up and running properly for at least 3 days before I add eggs. And I would not set less then 10-12 eggs. Slow down or you are doomed for failure

The eggs you collect don't need to be 'turned upside down'. You can turn them once a day until you set them if you like, but it's not necessary. The incubator is step 1. You gotta have it turned on and stable for 2-3 days prior to setting the eggs. You're going to need an accurate thermometer (not the one that comes with the incubator) and a hygrometer to measure humidity. Humidity levels are kept at different values during different stages of incubation and must be measured. If not using an egg turner, you will have to hand turn your eggs at least 3 times a day for the first 18 days. Your eggs will not be fertile for another 7+ days since introducing a new rooster.

This link will tell you everything you need to know about incubating and hatching:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken

Back
Top Bottom