Incubating Eggs at School. Lockdown Is During the Weekend, Help!

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
I have been incubating coturnix quail eggs at my school since Saturday, April 10. Today is day 10 for incubation. Lockdown is this Saturday, and no one will be here to raise the humidity and take the eggs out of the turner! Should I go into lockdown a day early on Friday? Is that ok for the eggs?

I have been incubating coturnix quail eggs at my school since Saturday, April 10. Today is day 10 for incubation. Lockdown is this Saturday, and no one will be here to raise the humidity and take the eggs out of the turner! Should I go into lockdown a day early on Friday? Is that ok for the eggs?
You should be good

I hope you can get in during weekends after hatch, I know I couldn't handle not checking my babies during the weekend and the kids get worried about them being all alone. Be ready with a camera on Monday morning, priceless video moments will be had.

What will happen to the chicks after hatch?
The chicks will be fine as long as the power doesn't go out. They can go one or two days without food and water right after hatch. As long as they aren't born with deformities, they will be fine. But I will say this, do not expect all to hatch, because it is normal for some not to make it to complete hatch. I also say that some could be born with leg issues that are easily fixable when caught within the first few days.

What I meant was, long-term. School will be out soon. Are they spoken for? Do they have homes lined up, or is the teacher keeping them, or .... ?

Back
Top Bottom