Incubating Eggs/Candling/Tough Decisions

rwcmick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 25, 2007
Just thought I'd write a little bit about my incubation process.

I started by ordering eggs via Meyer Hatchery and EBay. Interestingly enough, the Meyer eggs packed in foam suffered damage with two eggs cracked beyond repair. The EBay eggs were all safe and sound. The eggs are a random assortment of breeds.

I fired up the Hovabator. I didn't have auto turner room for all the eggs, but i was able to lay the remaining eggs on the floor and turn them manually.

The Meyer eggs haven't performed. Out of the 16 eggs that made it through shipping only 6 have survived. Most of the Meyer eggs remained clear and nothing ever developed. A few made it a ways then gave out and developed blood rings.

The EBay eggs, including the manually turned ones, have faired better. Out of the 36 eggs shipped I've had to cull 10.

I did the culling today and it was tense. It's pretty obvious which eggs aren't performing. A quick flash of light and I can see that there is either a dark mass or it's clear. However, each time I selected a loser and cracked it open I'd pray that I wouldn't find anything but yolk. I'd hate to cut a life short. I've been lucky and haven't had anything even remotely developed (beyond a very tiny speck) show up so I feel pretty good that I didn't kill anything.

It's tough to have to lose 20 eggs, but that's nature I guess. I called Meyer when I received the eggs to let them know that they seemed to have had a rough ride. I'ts on their books and they said to call after the hatch is over to work out any $ owed to me.

It's an exciting process and it's neat, especially on the lighter eggs, to see the development.

I know I started out with 25 eggs and several broke in shipping. Then out of what was left only 6 were fertile. After 2 weeks 2 died and a 3rd one just never pipped. Of the 3 that hatched I got one of each color bird I was looking for so that was great in my book. I have a better hatch rate if I incubate my own girls eggs. Shipping in to hard on the eggs. But I decided to try out shipped eggs one more time this year. I bought 10 delaware eggs from mypetchicken. They just went in on Friday night so I have my fingers crossed for a good hatch. Good Luck on your hatch and when are they due?

Not sure where you live, but I also bought eggs from Meyer. They are in North OH and I am in Southern KY. I ordered 24, they sent 25. 5 were broken. At that time i knew nothing about wax on the cracks, but 2 were leaking. I put 20 in the incubator, after candling around day 10, 2 were clear so i tossed them. At hatch time there was 2 more that had started developing and died mid way. But 16 hatched and are doing wonderful. They are sending me the replacement eggs the 20th. I hope i have good luck with those. But I tried to find the closest Hatchery to me so the trip would be quicker and safer for the eggs. I wish you luck if you decide to take the replacment eggs instead of a refund. Sorry you lost so many eggs. i didn't get my hopes up with this being my first time incubating, I decided i would be happy if all I ended up with was at least 6 babies. So that way I woulnd't feel so down if only a few hatched. If I would have had none or only 2 or 3 hatch i guess i would have cried for days. Good Luck with your hatch.

Jennifer

The peeps should start arriving on 8/23! Can't wait to meet my fluffy new friends.

Back
Top Bottom