Incubating eggs for others?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bettacreek, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I know that there are some people who hatch eggs for other people. I'm obsessed with incubating now, and put an ad up to see if I could sell day old chicks if I hatched some out, and someone asked me how much I would charge to hatch their fertile eggs out for them. So, if anybody does this, what do you usually charge? My bator can hold about 3 1/2 dozen chicken eggs (according to our large cartons from Walmart). I wasn't sure what to respond with. I could either charge for the entire bator space, or charge per hatched chick. Anyone have any input? I really want to enjoy the hatch, but I have no room for chickens, though I'd LOVE to hatch them out and get rid of them before I have to worry about housing, and this seems like the perfect oppurtunity. Anyways, I just need some input, because it's not like it's a lot of work to hatch eggs, just have to monitor and turn, but I'm not sure of the electricity usage of my incubator, plus I can't hatch out anything while it's in use (unless of course, if I invest in more bators!) So, any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I would ask for some money upfront for setting the eggs so if the person gives you infertile or damaged eggs you don't go through the effort for nothing. Then I would charge a little more per chick that hatches. Something like if you normally sell day olds for $3/each then charge $1.50 per egg they ask you to hatch when they give you the eggs and $1.50 per chick that hatches when they pick them up. Or $1/egg and $2/chick. Or you could pick a flat rate to charge per dozen eggs when they deliver and then per chick. Either way you don't get cheated and they don't feel cheated if none hatch. If you do a good job and hatch lots you get more.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    to do what you are talking about it would be best to have two bators one to incubat and one to hatch in that way when you candle if all egg are not a go you will have a place to put some new ones. as far as cost for electric mine only uses about ten $ a month. i hatch and sell my chicks some and get $2.50 to $4.00 a chick. it depends on what time of the year they hatch and how bad i want them to be gone ( when i sell them). like i will have 36 hatch on the 2nd of feb, and 30 on the 8th, and 26 more on the 16th, so the 36 and the 26 will be for sale but i am keeping the one from the 8th hatch. hpoe this gives you some info william
    ps $1.00 a chick hatched would be a fare price after you got started doing it

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    first of all, draw up a disclaimer that you will hatch the eggs in good faith,but the other party has to know that a hundred thing can go wrong and you do not always have control if some, or NONE, of the eggs hatch..

you word it however you like and make the other party sign it..

no sign, no hatch..

charge for the full use of the bator.
    1 egg or full bator..

If you have more than one client.
    charge them both.. you do not have to tell them they are sharing the bator.. that is none of their business.. all they are concerned with is that you are hatching their eggs..

do not stagger hatches.. until you are really good at hatching..

I would charge $10.oo for electicity and expenses.. Minimum

then charge per egg.. 1 to 6 eggs
    $1.50/each 7 to 12 eggs $1.25/ea

or whatever you decide you want to charge..

keep reading, other people will have more ideas for you..

5. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Here's what I am doing:
    up front non-refundable fee (unless something happens on my end, like electricity going out):
    42 eggs - $15
    24 eggs - $10
    12 eggs - $7
    6 eggs (minimum) - $5
    This is the price if THEY drop off at my house.

Then a $1 charge per live healthy chick when the owner of the eggs comes to pick up.

I just starting doing this and have gotten a couple customers- but not tons of customers. I guess that means my prices are good. There is someone that wants me to do it on a on-going basis too.

(P.S.) I give the client a couple set dates to choose from that way I can incubate with my eggs or another client's

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, since this is my first time around for chickens, I told him $1 per healthy chick, no upfront fees. If I do this again, I'll probably charge an upfront fee. I appreciate all of the input on this. I'll let everyone know how it goes. [​IMG]

7. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i am going to do the same thing i am going to charge a $5.00 start up fee and 1.00 for every chick that hatches min of 12 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by