Incubating eggs in the "Nurture Right 306", any tips???

deeducks

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
I recently got the Harris Farms, Nurture right 360 and am new to using artificial incubators. Do you have any tips on getting the best hatch rate in them? Is the hydrometer accurate?

I'm willing to take any advice possible!

I had good hatch rates both times I incubated (at least I think based on what I put in.)

1st time: 22 chicken eggs (12 shipped and 10 local) I had 7 hatch and 8 make it to full term (2 shipped eggs hatch and a 3rd should have pipped but never made it passed a second membrane in the egg/ 5 local hatched and the rest were simply infertile) I had never done shipped eggs before though and made mistakes that probably lowered my shipped rate

2nd time: 36 quail eggs, all shipped. Had 13 hatch, 4 that pipped and didn't make it (they pipped late for some reason after I unplugged the incubator) and only 3 that developed. Others were either infertile or too damaged to developed noticeably. I'll note though they only turned once a day the first week.

One thing to note though is the egg turner seemed to have difficulty double loaded with quail eggs

I had good hatch rates both times I incubated (at least I think based on what I put in.)

1st time: 22 chicken eggs (12 shipped and 10 local) I had 7 hatch and 8 make it to full term (2 shipped eggs hatch and a 3rd should have pipped but never made it passed a second membrane in the egg/ 5 local hatched and the rest were simply infertile) I had never done shipped eggs before though and made mistakes that probably lowered my shipped rate

2nd time: 36 quail eggs, all shipped. Had 13 hatch, 4 that pipped and didn't make it (they pipped late for some reason after I unplugged the incubator) and only 3 that developed. Others were either infertile or too damaged to developed noticeably. I'll note though they only turned once a day the first week.

One thing to note though is the egg turner seemed to have difficulty double loaded with quail eggs
ah thanks so much!

for chickens or ducks, i know ducks have alittle different moisture schedule .. for chickens the main 2 points imo are handling of eggs your going to use and temp .. you should keep an eye on temp using a second thermometer .. temps will vary but shoot for 99.5 and it should work out .. try to keep ambient temps even also, so location is important .. more personal thoughts i think are beneficial - talk to your eggs lol, not kidding .. imo also when doing your figuring count the set day, i think turning eggs too late in the process can increase the chance they orient wrong in the egg .. and when you stop turning arrange the eggs on something that will tend to keep them from rolling around, i think this can cause some to orient wrong in the egg to, especially late hatchers .. when you stop turning the eggs thats when humidity really matters, you want the shells to soften and them not to get stuck .. steam them lol .. 80% or so .. dont forget to talk to them during lockdown thats important lol ..

I recently got the Harris Farms, Nurture right 360 and am new to using artificial incubators. Do you have any tips on getting the best hatch rate in them? Is the hydrometer accurate?

I'm willing to take any advice possible!
The humidity gauge on mine is inaccurate. Salt test a hydrometer, and calibrate a thermometer, and test it. Run if for a few days to be sure it's accurate. I have a few more tips but I'll have to post them in a bit. Probably tomorrow. I've had 100% hatch rates 3 of the 5 hatches I've done in it, and no hatch rates below 90%. It's an "eggcellent" incubator. Seriously though, I've had better hatched in the NR than in Brinseas.

I love my NR360s and I've used them for many many hatches. Mine were all spot on right from the factory but that's not to say I wouldn't recommend checking them against a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer just to be sure.

I recommend using distilled water in incubators to prevent hard water build up over time. Take the time to read the instructions to better familiarize yourself. They're very forgiving incubators in my opinion.

for chickens or ducks, i know ducks have alittle different moisture schedule .. for chickens the main 2 points imo are handling of eggs your going to use and temp .. you should keep an eye on temp using a second thermometer .. temps will vary but shoot for 99.5 and it should work out .. try to keep ambient temps even also, so location is important .. more personal thoughts i think are beneficial - talk to your eggs lol, not kidding .. imo also when doing your figuring count the set day, i think turning eggs too late in the process can increase the chance they orient wrong in the egg .. and when you stop turning arrange the eggs on something that will tend to keep them from rolling around, i think this can cause some to orient wrong in the egg to, especially late hatchers .. when you stop turning the eggs thats when humidity really matters, you want the shells to soften and them not to get stuck .. steam them lol .. 80% or so .. dont forget to talk to them during lockdown thats important lol ..
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom