Incubating Eggs of different ages

And the group of them getting "mother love" from the feather duster, which is a lot easier than when they were snuggled up next to the dog. He's fairly patient, but he's not THAT patient.

Which of these things is not like the other, lol?

Waiting on the last two in the incubator. They've pipped and I can hear them peeping. I hope they make it...

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm just the picture-poster, my daughter is the one who's been doing all the work.

I waited up until midnight last night for more action, and finally went to bed. At four this morning I snuck in to see if anything had happened, and there was a wet chick in the brooder, but no eggshell. She had gotten up sometime during the night and took the shell out of the brooder. She's managed the temp, turnings, and humidity so well. I'm pretty proud of her dedication, and I'm so happy it's paid off for her.

Sadly, it looks like it won't be a 100% hatch after all. We put 1 egg too close to the sponge and when we re-filled the sponge it got water dripped on it and drowned. :(
Other than that, the last 2 left are alive and kicking! (literally!)

Last edited:
Sadly, it looks like it won't be a 100% hatch after all. We put 1 egg to close to the sponge and it got water dripped on it and drowned. :(
 Other than that, the last 2 left are alive and kicking! (literally!)

oh I'm so sorry:(

I'm glad your daughter is so into this! It is a great experience :)

Here's us trying out Kanga the partridge silkie as surrogate mother.

Sadly, Kanga wasn't having any of it. She didn't peck them or anything, she just didn't know what to do.
But then, she is only about 6 weeks old, and has already "adopted" 10 three week old chicks! :)

Back
Top Bottom