Incubating eggs on their sides?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crash0330, Jun 1, 2010.

1. crash0330

crash0330 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Hi, I would like to know if its ok to incubate eggs on their sides, I know the rule is to incubate them with the pointy end down but in this case I could fit more eggs if I just have them set on their sides. Is it ok to do that? Any suggestions? would it hurn my hatchavility rate? Thanks.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    You can incubate them on their sides as long as you hand turn them 3 times a day. Pointy end down is for when you have them in an automatic turner.

3. Penturner

Penturner Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    On there side is fine. If you still have them in a turner it does not make much of a difference. If you are turning them by hand make sure to leave room to roll them. I lay all my eggs on their side. I set them pointed end down for my first few hatches. I don't notice any difference that I contribute to the direction the eggs are.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Songster

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    My bator's turner works with them on their sides, it moves the floor under th eggs while they stay in place with racks running across. I put them in cartons for hatching as I had to move the bator before they were due to pip, but might just leave them on their sides this time. Haven't decided yet. Did find that they were getting a bit stuck at the sides of the egg cartons after hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by