Incubating eggs that have been sat on by a broodie.

Rocky Road

Chirping
8 Years
May 14, 2011
I just candled my eggs last night that are due on Mothersday and over 50% showed little to nothing there :(. Now I have a theory but I was wondering if anybody knew if this would affect the eggs. I have two broodie hens that sit in the favorite egg laying corner. I am at work all day and collect eggs when I get home or after dinner. I was wondering if the time that they sat on those eggs (I would estimate 6-8hrs) it would "start" the egg and then when I put them in the turner until its full those eggs would "die". Anybody know anything about this? I've hatched many batches and never had this problem before. Also when I open the eggs almost all are always fertilized that I can see.

The embryos will start to grow if you crack an egg open you would see a little tiny blood spot the size of a pin head. How long after collecting eggs do you then but them in the bator? Me personally I wouldn't wait more then a day then you have a better chance. HTH

the ones I cracked open don't have any signs of blood spots. None of my eggs do. I collect until my turner is full and then turn it on (3 days tops). I'm starting to think that maybe my rooster isn't doing his job!

It really shouldn't be a problem to put them in the turner a few days after the hen sat on them a few hours. I do it all the time and have great hatches. It could be several things. Your rooster, too warm where you store them or your incubator?

Back
Top Bottom