incubating eggs to check for fertility

chickenranchwife

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
North West South Dakota
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if someone would be willing to test my eggs for fertility. I can't seem to get my incubator to work. I know they are fertile, and don't really have the money to get a new one right now. PM me if interested.

Tell me what's going on with your incubator.

What brand and model of incubator?

List specifically the problem(s) - temps, humidty, spikes etc

Let's get you hatching!

Are you using a surge protector? That will help a lot with temp spikes.

Have you changed out the wafer for a new one? An old wafer will spike and drop too.

Last edited:
You might want to make sure it is set up in a room with no drafts and very little temp changes. Maybe in a closet in the most inner walls of your house where temps should be the warmest and most stable.

Even sitting on a shelf the wafer can go bad. Those things are ether filled disks and aren
t guaranteed for long life. They cost about $5. I would replace it

Plug in a surge protector and use it for your incubator. Don't plug in a bunch of other stuff to that one either. Just the incubator and the turner if it has an external plug. Turn it all on and let it run for at least 3 or 4 hours.

Set your thermometer to take the temp reading where the eggs would be. Do you have a water wiggler? If so, the internal temp reading should be 99.5. If you have to adjust the thermostat only move it a fraction of a hair at a time. Walk away for a few hours then come back and check again. Sometimes it can take a solid week to get those LG's set right.

Keep me posted. I do not like LG's (hahaha that is not a secret) but eventually you can get them to work for you instead of against you.

I wonder if I would be better off building one. This is rediculus. I am ready to give up! Where do you put the wafer? The bator is in a room all by it's self, and nothing else is plugged in there.

Don't give up! If this one has you wanting to give up don't even think about a homemade bator because them you will want to throw it all away and never try to hatch! The homemade ones are 100 times harder to adjust.

Let me find you a photo of the thermostat wafer.

Back
Top Bottom