Incubating Eggs

I have this going on- my thoughts are to try and split the difference to get all 3 thermometers to read between 37 & 39 degrees... what would y’all do?! The humidity is fine bc I let the water run dry to see how low it’d get if that happened once I had eggs in there.

Attachments

• A9907946-2EE3-49C9-AB35-58CAD626E7FE.jpeg
    A9907946-2EE3-49C9-AB35-58CAD626E7FE.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 52EB4534-537C-45E3-A553-401FA794C57B.jpeg
    52EB4534-537C-45E3-A553-401FA794C57B.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 4
I have a ton of temperature meters, a lot of them I have never bothered to check for accuracy but out of curiosity I went and checked my meat thermometer and my medical body heat thermometer and guess what, both are off by as much as 0.5 degree C.
The medical thermometer being off by 0.5 really surprised me but that explains why for the past 2 years I have assumed by body temperature was 0.5 degrees too low lol.

So basically there is hardly any hobby thermometer that will be 100% accurate! Finding a good balance between different ones is best, try to eliminate ones which seem abnormally inaccurate, then pick your preferred one but note the possible deviation it might have (if the others are all higher, that one should be assumed to be running a fraction too low and vice versa). I only mention this as once eggs are in space is an issue.

From everything I have gathered now the safe range for incubating is 36.7 - 38 degrees C which is a 1.3 degree range, so if you aim for 37.3, you can still be 0.7 degrees higher or lower than than and still be in a safe zone.

37.4 degrees is the ideal temperature to incubate at but I have since decided to go for 37.3 in future as this is the exact middle of the safe zone and a fraction cooler is always better than a fraction too hot. ( my last hatch also hatched a day early but still had 100%)

ps Jen: from your picture I would dismiss the "Aircare" readings completely, that one seems the most innaccurate at over 1 degree off and humidty seems off too so I wouldn't use that one at all.

Last edited:
I have this going on- my thoughts are to try and split the difference to get all 3 thermometers to read between 37 & 39 degrees... what would y’all do?! The humidity is fine bc I let the water run dry to see how low it’d get if that happened once I had eggs in there.
Have you tried swapping the places for the thermometers? My (crappy) incubator has a major cold spot in the middle, so you might have major temperature difference as well (especially if air flow is bad). Adding a small (closed) jar filled with water might help reduce the temperature difference.

I did an experiment with an Accurite humidity/thermoter and an inkbird temp controller to see how they show the temp. Although the Accurite updates its display every 15 seconds, the thermometer part doesn't react that fast. It took a couple minutes to register a 2 degree temp change just from moving it from a dresser to the floor. The inkbird registers temp change very quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is with those thermometers the temp reading could be lagging behind even though they are sitting in the same air.

Back
Top Bottom