incubating/hatching peafowl

syble

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
michigan
I have done some research ahead of time, but when i was at a swap last week i couldn't pass up some peafowl eggs. Lord knows what if anything will hatch from them there are india blue hens, black shouldered hens, silver hens and pied hens, and about the same for males and apparently they all ran together. its fine with me as they are just slated for pets. In my researching i remember reading on assorted sites that people would use broody hens for the first week or so of incubation and it gave better results... I of course have no broodies, all i have is an incubator so in they went. After about a week i can only see that they have the expanded two toned yolk which in all my other eggs means they have begun to develop. So my question is this, should i just treat them like i do my turkey eggs? How fragile are these chicks? Can they be brooded with turkeys of the same hatch(I have turkeys set to hatch at the same time as them). There are only 6 eggs, but they are all growing so far by the looks of it *knock on wood*.
Thanks
Sib

Treat them the same as your turkey eggs but as for brooding them togather, turkeys need the 28-30% protien and pea chicks need only 20% feed. I have heard from some folks here with 20+ years in peafowl that the high protien can lead to leg problems in pea's. I have my first peachick hatch in the brooder right now so I have no personal experience but they are not in with my turkeys for the feed reason. I have a couple of guinea keets with them teaching them to eat and drink. It's funny, they will watch the guineas eat or drink and go over and copy them. They are more like a turkey when hatched and need to be taught to eat and drink, thus the trainer keets. I use keets on all my turkeys and figured they would do good with the peas. Mine hatched Thursday and Friday and are all doing great.

there are only 6 eggs, so i could brood them separately. Thanks. I know they say not to keep peafowl with chickens because of blackhead and what not, but what about day old chicks? i should have some hatch round the same time and have no guineas to train the peafowl
sad.png
I didn't realize they were as *special* as turkeys!
Thanks
Sib

Yes, they are "special" as turkeys at hatch! Some people run chickens with their peafowl and turkeys with no problems and some have problems. So that's a call you have to make.

I RAISE MY PEACHICKS AND POULT THE SAME...same feed off the ground , yes you can broody together ,just seperate before they are adults.

Back
Top Bottom