Incubating in room temps of more than 99 F

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantyshanty, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    We have two bedroom window units and no other cooling in our house, and temps are going to potentially hit 100F tomorrow. Should I definitely bring all my incubators into the air conditioned bedroom? I'm thinking yes...
    Has anyone incubated without air conditioning during a heat wave?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    As long as you monitor the inside temperature of the incubator, you should be alright. The temp. around the incubator should be pretty consistent.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I do not have my AC on when I incubate. Some people do. I guess it really depends on where you live and the conditions. I have tried to incubate with my AC on but for me my temp and humidity was fluctuating to much. I thought the AC would keep the incubators more steady. When I had the AC on I was constantly adjusting my temp and humidity so I turned the AC off and my temp and humidity stabilized. Our weather here has been in the upper 90's. A friend of mine incubates with his AC on and said he has had no fluctuations. I guess it's try it and see how it works for you. He is using styrofoam incubators and I am using a cabinet incubator. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

ETA: My AC is a window unit where I do my incubating.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    I bought a window a/c yesterday- I'm using a Roll-X incubater- it holds the temp where it should be. Of course if the temp in the house is higher than 99/100 I'm sure that would change.

I got the a/c cause with the high humidity (we are about 65+% in my area of MI) I couldn't get the humidity level down under 60%...... if we were at lockdown that would be ok......... but 10 days in thats way too high!!!

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have central heating and air in my house. We keep the thermostat at 74 degrees. And i close the vents in my room, and the temp of my room is at a constant 80 degrees, and i have a humidifier in there. Some times I think that because the temp is so constant, I could put certain types of reptile eggs in my room, and let them hatch without an incubator. [​IMG] Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by